Looking for Recommendation on Directv equipment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kei, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Kei

Kei Auditioning

I struck out on my last post so I'm modifying it a bit:

I'm looking for a new receiver that has Digital Optical outs and a lightning fast menu. Does a receiver like this exist?

While any extras are nice, my primary desire is to have a receiver that I can move through the menus and guides on quickly. The RCA receiver I bought 6 - 12 months ago is SLOW.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you!

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Kei, Try these forums, I think you will have better luck!
    DBS Talk
    DBS Forums
    Search technical areas first. Dbs Forums will probably give you a quicker response, but it may take a day or so.
    Good Luck!

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Unless you are looking for high-definition capability, I don't think there is any sane choice besides the Hughes HDVR2 (new Tivo/DirecTV combo unit). Well, maybe the older Sony/Phillips DirecTivo units if you find one discounted heavily.

W/ dual LNB dish, record to hard drive up to 2 programs simultaneously, while watching either (from any point in the program that has been aired, up to real time; pause/instant replay/rewind/FF at will), or a third previously recorded program. Perfect reproduction of transmitted video & digital audio (optical out). Search & record options that make other units pale in comparison. Guide is quick but since it makes it so easy to just record everything the speed becomes irrelevant.

These capabilities are well worth the cost and additional $5/month over any cheaper receivers.

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I own 3 Direct TiVos now called the DTV DVR. The menus are not lighting fast unless you use the TiVo menu and not the Direct tv menu. But once you have a TiVo you will watch little live tv and you can use the search engine in the TiVo to find programs, that beats the surfing method anyday. The DD 5.1 is via toslink, so you will need a receiver that can do optical decoding. I am still several weeks behind on weekly programs because I went on the HT cruise and Thanksgiving, just havent had time, but they are there when I have time, plus a bunch of movies in DD that I just keep for a rainy day.

5. Don Bingaman

Don Bingaman Extra

Kei,
    If you don't need Tivo, the new Hughes Platinum HD model works great for both DirecTV HDTV (199 / 509) and regular channels. It also picks up the local (UHF) DTV channels very well. Rf remote is pretty fast, although the program guide is not quite as informative as the standard RCA "picture-in-picture". The unit has both Toslink and coaxial digital audio outputs, as well as composite video, component video, S-Video and analog audio outputs. Very cool. I got mine as an open box special at Best Buy for $ 300.00. Apparently a lot of people buy these things and then don't know what to do with them so they take them back - perfectly functional !!

6. Kei

Kei Auditioning

Thanks for the recommendations. I never thought I wanted TIVO until I started reading these forums. I'm still not sure I care whether or not I have it.

I started looking at receivers because I just reached this point where I could not stand waiting 1-3 seconds for the menu or channels to respond when I'm channel surfing.

I liked the old guide on my original basic RCA (DRD222XX) so much better. The information about shows fit in one window and included the year for movies. The new guide requires me to click the "more info" button, which of course feels as if it takes a life time to switch screens. The guide itself on the newer DRD450XX has the picture in a picture but it is soooo slow. I had bought it for the 5.1 toslink. At this point I'm ready to live without 5.1 and put the old box in there.

...but...

If I could find a box with toslink and a FAST guide like my old RCA box, I would be perfectly content. Even if the box was something used off e-bay.

If that product doesn't exist, I'll probably look at the Hughes DirecTivo unit since everyone seems to be raving about that. Thanks for the responses!