What's new

Looking for REALLY CHEAP plate amps! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for some really cheap plate amps for a small 8" sub. I'd like to find something with about 50-80 watts in the $50-$60 range. I've looked at the offerings from Apex Jr. but really am not interested in close out products.

Can anyone steer me towards something cheap? BTW, this is for a little Bose-Killer type project. That's why I'm talking 8" drivers. I'm trying to see if this would be profitable as an offering for a side business or not.

Thanks,

Brian

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Parts Express still has their 300-792 120W plate amp for $79. It's a little above your price range, but I think it'd know the socks off of a 50-80 watt amp you might find for $20 less. Just a thought....

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Thanks, I'll have to check out that amp! I've ordered an MCM catalog but haven't received it yet. I find their site extremely difficult to navigate.
Brian,
I actually have that amp sitting on my doorstep along with this driver.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-310
I'll see how it works out. I really need something a bit cheaper though. The idea here is to minimize costs so that I can offer a Bose-Killer system in the $500-$600 range (8" sub and 5 satellites) and still make a decent profit. We're not talking spectacular performance here. Just well beyond a Bose system for about half the price! :)
Brian

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
If you set up a business reseller account with PE you should be able to get there plates amps for less, not sure how much though.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Fred,

I plan on doing just that! I just need to get my business license and tax ID first.

Brian

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I thought I would revive this thread to let you know that MCM just put 2 sub amps on sale:
The 50-6265 100 Watt amp for $60! (85 Watts into 8 Ohms)
The 50-6280 200 Watt amp with remote control for $99. (128 Watts into 8 Ohms) This one is on closeout.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Cool! That looks like exactly what I'm looking for! I think $60 is right up my alley! How'd you find it on their website? Or do you have a catalog with item numbers? I can never find anything on that website.

Thanks again!

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I just found out from another forum member (he called to check quantity pricing) that the $60 price for the 50-6265 amp is a sale price. The regular price is $99 which I think is overpriced for an amp such as this. I'd go with an Apex Jr. for $79 before I'd buy this for $99.

Thanks anyways!

Brian

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Good point. I love my Apex Jr amp.

But, at $60, perhaps I will pick one up for a project I am working on for a friend who is looking to keep costs to a minimum.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm the other member and I just ordered one of the $60 specials. So, our quest for the world's lowest-price 60 - 90 watt sub amp continues...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

Have you ever heard of a supplier called Forgings? I used to see them in Speaker Builder and they've got an add in the back of the LDC. They have quite a few products (plate amps, drivers, etc.) but don't show any pricing on their website.

I'll look up the web address again when I get home tonight.

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian: I haven't heard of Forgings. BTW, those LDC digital power amp modules look promising for a very compact power amp, BUT the pricing needs to come down (when they start selling in volume) if they're going to be competitive with Taiwann plate amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks