Looking for REALLY CHEAP plate amps!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'm looking for some really cheap plate amps for a small 8" sub. I'd like to find something with about 50-80 watts in the $50-$60 range. I've looked at the offerings from Apex Jr. but really am not interested in close out products.

Can anyone steer me towards something cheap? BTW, this is for a little Bose-Killer type project. That's why I'm talking 8" drivers. I'm trying to see if this would be profitable as an offering for a side business or not.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. BrianMu

BrianMu Stunt Coordinator

Parts Express still has their 300-792 120W plate amp for $79. It's a little above your price range, but I think it'd know the socks off of a 50-80 watt amp you might find for $20 less. Just a thought....

Brian

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,
    Thanks, I'll have to check out that amp! I've ordered an MCM catalog but haven't received it yet. I find their site extremely difficult to navigate.
    Brian,
    I actually have that amp sitting on my doorstep along with this driver.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-310
    I'll see how it works out. I really need something a bit cheaper though. The idea here is to minimize costs so that I can offer a Bose-Killer system in the $500-$600 range (8" sub and 5 satellites) and still make a decent profit. We're not talking spectacular performance here. Just well beyond a Bose system for about half the price! [​IMG]
    Brian

5. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

If you set up a business reseller account with PE you should be able to get there plates amps for less, not sure how much though.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Fred,

I plan on doing just that! I just need to get my business license and tax ID first.

Brian

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I thought I would revive this thread to let you know that MCM just put 2 sub amps on sale:
    The 50-6265 100 Watt amp for $60! (85 Watts into 8 Ohms)
    The 50-6280 200 Watt amp with remote control for $99. (128 Watts into 8 Ohms) This one is on closeout.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,

Cool! That looks like exactly what I'm looking for! I think $60 is right up my alley! How'd you find it on their website? Or do you have a catalog with item numbers? I can never find anything on that website.

Thanks again!

Brian

9. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Hmmm.
    Links dont work for me. [​IMG]

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,

I just found out from another forum member (he called to check quantity pricing) that the $60 price for the 50-6265 amp is a sale price. The regular price is $99 which I think is overpriced for an amp such as this. I'd go with an Apex Jr. for $79 before I'd buy this for $99.

Thanks anyways!

Brian

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Good point. I love my Apex Jr amp.

But, at $60, perhaps I will pick one up for a project I am working on for a friend who is looking to keep costs to a minimum.

12. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I'm the other member and I just ordered one of the $60 specials. So, our quest for the world's lowest-price 60 - 90 watt sub amp continues...

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,

Have you ever heard of a supplier called Forgings? I used to see them in Speaker Builder and they've got an add in the back of the LDC. They have quite a few products (plate amps, drivers, etc.) but don't show any pricing on their website.

I'll look up the web address again when I get home tonight.

Brian

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian: I haven't heard of Forgings. BTW, those LDC digital power amp modules look promising for a very compact power amp, BUT the pricing needs to come down (when they start selling in volume) if they're going to be competitive with Taiwann plate amps.