What's new

Looking for quality EQ..... (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Anyone make a good quality EQ these days? I'm looking to replace my old Audio Control 10 band EQ with something with finer control. I've looked at the EQ's that SVS offers, but they are mono, and with 14 components in my rack I don't have the room for much more (I have one outlet left, and I'm saving that for a HDTV receiver).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JimmyK

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jimmy,

It would be helpful to know what you’re trying to accomplish. Equalizers can be used for any number of functions, from tone control to addressing room acoustics, and different functions require different types of equalizers.

I assume you are using the AudioControl for a sophisticated tone control (that’s what 10-band equalizers do best). If you’re looking for the same thing with even more possible adjustment points, you might look into a 2/3-octave (14- or 15-band) EQ. Typically you will need to look to professional market for these. Most of them are not up to the standards of AudioControl, but a good starting point at a reasonable price would be Rane, Ashly, TOA or Symetrix. They usually start at around $350, but most can be had for much less on eBay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'm looking to smooth out the response of my system, especially in the range below 500hz or so. I've been able to do a pretty good job with the 10 band (20hz-100hz plus or minus 4db), but a couple of the sliders are starting to cut in and out. If I move them up and down a bunch of times, it seems to fix it for a short time. I guess they are starting to corrode or something (my EQ is 21yrs old now). So it looks like I will need a replacement in the not to distant future. If I'm going to replace it, I want something with finer control.

In my particular setup, I need something that will control at least 2 channels, and has no crossover or one that is defeatable.

I did contact Audio Control yesterday regarding their 7 channel Rialto model (I saw one on e-bay). After talking to the person at Audio Control about my system and needs, he suggested I try one of their auto digital EQ's (model DQT) that has separate 1/3 octave graphic EQ's for the left and right channels as well as a stereo 2 band parametric EQ. The specs look the same as their home models, so the quality seems to be there. I also contacted a trusted technician I've known for 20+ years and he said using a quality auto product would work fine in my system with an appropriate 12v power supply. This sound like what I'm looking for, and may give it a try if I don't come across anything else.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks!
JimmyK

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
a couple of the sliders are starting to cut in and out. If I move them up and down a bunch of times, it seems to fix it for a short time. I guess they are starting to corrode or something (my EQ is 21yrs old now).
Some tuner cleaner probably will fix this. Spray some into the slider and move it up and down.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I also tried another suggestion from my trusted tech that made a big difference.

Before, I had my EQ placed between my DD decoder and my powered sub (DD decoder front L&R set to "large" so that the powered sub would handle crossover duties in the front L&R channels. This was necessary to get proper bass management from all my sources.)

In trying to correct a nasty peak between 75hz-90hz, my 10 band would also affect frequencies below that since each band is a full octave wide. Further investigation revealed that the peak was coming from the L&R speakers, and not the sub. My tech suggested I move the EQ so that it would be between the powered sub and the L&R channel amps so that the EQ would not affect the sub. This actually worked great! I was able to bring that large peak down without affecting the lower frequencies. My system now sounds much better balanced with a much smoother blend between the sub and main speakers. Also, unexpectedly, the soundstage and imaging improved considerably! I spent last night listening to many favorite CDs and was thrilled with the results!

Now it's a question of my EQ holding up. If cleaning does not work and I look for a replacement, I want to go ahead and get something with finer control and more flexability.

Thanks again.

JimmyK

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In trying to correct a nasty peak between 75hz-90hz, my 10 band would also affect frequencies below that since each band is a full octave wide.
Actually, this is not correct, Jimmy. The affected bandwidth is one octave above and below the center frequency. So the total affected bandwidth is theoretically two octaves (even wider, if large boost or cut values are used). It’s the same with other equalizers as well – i.e., an EQ with 1/3-octave filters will affect a total bandwidth 2/3-octave wide.

Nevertheless, it’s good to see you were able to fix your problem without having to spend any money. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks