What's new

Looking for potential weaknesses in current audio setup, and sub recommendation! (1 Viewer)

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post after joining the forum. I chose to ask my question here because after visiting many forums, I found that most of the contributors to this forum were very knowledgeable and friendly.

So my question for you guys revolves around my current audio system for my home theater. I'm looking on recommendations on what people think about my current gear, and if something is severely bottlenecking my system. Overall I am generally pleased with my system, but considering that my current setup is relatively old, I am open to ideas regarding upgrading particular pieces of my system. Also, I need help with a recommendation for a subwoofer.

My current setup is
Pioneer VSX-1015tx reciever
Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, v.4 (soon to be bi-amped)
Paradigm Monitor CC-290 center, v.5
Paradigm ADP-170, v.3
my sub is a POS Onkyo sub from a HTIB setup.

Basically, what's your opinion on this system (sub not included). Is this a fairly good mix of components? Also, the sub I am thinking about adding to this mix is the HSU STF-2 sub. I'd like to spend NO more than $400.

Room personality: 12ft x 10ft x 8ft. Quadplex apartment, single floor. next-door neighbors obviously :( Seating is recessed into a walk-in closet-like area.

Thanks for any advice on my current setup/ sub recommendation!

-krisr

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any sub from Hsu, SVS, eD, Epik, or the many other internet direct manufacturers will be much better than the one you have now. Fine ones in your price range. Do they fit any limitations you have on size? Do they meet your criteria for looks?

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
Thanks Robert,

Between eD A2 - 300 and HSU STF-2, is there one that you'd recommend over the other? Epik and SVS fall out of my price range a bit too much.

Also, any suggestions on my current system? Or does it look pretty strong?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The eD. It has a larger enclosure which means the driver will work more efficiently (Google Hoffman's Iron Law for details). It also has a 12" driver compared to the 10" Hsu driver. Bass is all about moving air. A 12" driver moves more air over the same cone distance. A 10" driver can move more air but the driver must work harder and therefore introduce more distortion into the sound.

If you want a great sub, use a LOT of large drivers in very large enclosures so they only do a minimum amount of work individually. But together them can move a massive amount of air.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No mention of a DVD or BluRay player? If you don't have one yet then I'd get a BR before replacing the receiver.

Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver

The 1015 is a fine receiver but a newer one will have many useful features the the 1015 is lacking such as HDMI and it's HD audio capability, a better MCACC or Audyssey if you choose a receiver that's so equipped, firmware up-grades, Internet and HD radio, etc. depending on how much you want to spend. I'd look at a Denon, Onkyo or another Pioneer if you're brand loyal. The 1019 might be out of your price range but something like a Denon 789 or Onkyo 606/607 might be obtainable. Maybe even an H/K 254/354

Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, v.4 (soon to be bi-amped)

If you were planning on Bi-Amping them with the surround rear channels then be prepared to be disappointed in the outcome. True Bi-amping seems to require separate power supplies, not just separate amplifier channels. Virtually everyone who has tried it around here found very little, if any, benefit.

Proper setup and calibration can do wonders for just about any system that was just put in place and turned on. Make sure you have followed all setup/calibration procedures to the letter including double-checking the MCACC settings if you ran it. Speakers should be set to small and the x-over to 80 or higher, etc. A setup disc and SPL meter is handy for this. Speaker placement, including height, can also make a big difference. The little things can wind up making a big difference.

Roberts the subwoofer guy so do what he says............and hurry up! BTW, my brother has the Dayton clone of the 10" HSU and it's a real good sub for the price but that ED looks very good on paper. Probably even better in person.

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
Thanks gene. I was thinking about an oppo DVD player after the sub purchase actually. Also, the pioneer 1019 is in my price range for an a/v, so I'll check that out! As far as the bi amp off the surround backs, if the surround backs aren't being used at all, is it worth using them to biamp the fronts for little gain, or not at all? Your recommendations are appreciated. I'm getting that eD tomorrow!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I run the VSX-1014 and the MCACC calibration is spot on. The only change is setting all of the speakers to Small. I confirmed the audio settings with VE and my trusty SPL meter.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
if the surround backs aren't being used at all, is it worth using them to biamp the fronts for little gain, or not at all? Your recommendations are appreciated.

I tried it with my Pioneer 59txi just for fun and there really wasn't any increase in sound quality. Apparently you need two seperate amplifiers to get any gain at all. You can try it if you want. It would only take some time and a little speaker wire but IMO (and most others who have tried it) it's a wast of time. Bi-wiring is the same thing. Not worth the cost of the extra wire. Which is strange because most speaker manufactures recommend both bi-amping or bi-wiring. Says so in the manuals. Did nothing for me.

I was thinking about an oppo DVD player

Excellent choice. I've owned two of them. A 970 and now a BDP-83. All the Hoopla is justified.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Just a note on the 1019. Even though a couple of A/V magazines gave it a great review, calling the sound quality exceptional and features abundant, it now shares the same platform as the other Pioneer receivers. The previous years 1018, and the ones before it (1017, 1016, 1015 and 1014), were based off the base Elite model. As a result the 1019 only put out about 30 wpc x 5 in the bench tests oppossed to the rated 110 wpc. With average sensetivity speakers and a small room like yours it shouldn't pose a problem, but if you want to stick with Pioneer then I'd also look into the Elite VSX-21. It shouldn't be much, if any, more than the 1019. Just make sure it has the features you're looking for, and buy from an authorized dealer to protect it's warranty coverage.

And another thing (it never ends ). No need to spend a lot on wires and cables but here are a couple of often recommended sites for the often over-looked odds and ends. Monoprice.com. Bluejeanscables.com. PartsExpress.com. And remember, CL-2 or CL-3 wires/cables are needed for in-wall installation to satisfy local building codes. And use a good surge protector. And turn everything off before making any connections. As I said, it never ends.

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
You have any recommendations on a place to buy Pioneer Elite gear? I can find places that sell normal Pioneer receivers all over the place. I'm currently looking through a website onecall.com

Also, I've got a snazzy Monster Power HT surge protector. It has served me well through the years.

Would you ever consider a PS3 as a primary media player? I can get one of those for dirt at work.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here's a link to Elite authorized dealers. Elite-dealers. But only 6th ave and Abt have any Elite receivers and 6th ave is sold out of the 21 (they're having a "Name Your Price! promotion which is real popular). There are more here but they're not authorized dealers. You can get a third party warranty from most of these sellers but who knows how reliable they would be if service was needed. Higher end brands like Elite, Integra, Rotel, etc. usually don't allow their products to be sold on-line. That's why you see so many Pioneer receivers but few, if any, Elites.

Would you ever consider a PS3 as a primary media player? I can get one of those for dirt at work.
I'm not a gamer so I wouldn't but PS3's are popular as BluRay players and reportedly have excellent picture quality and the fastest load times of any BR player.

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
I can buy a VSX-23 off of 6th ave, the only difference I see between it and the 21 is that the 23 has 1 extra hdmi in and out, is that correct? Seems the base electronics are the same otherwise. On a direct comparison, would you consider the elite vsx 21 to be worth the extra money as opposed to the pioneer 1019?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I can buy a VSX-23 off of 6th ave, the only difference I see between it and the 21 is that the 23 has 1 extra hdmi in and out, is that correct?

The 23 also has Multi channel PQLS (?) vs 2 ch for the 21, 3 zones vs. 2 and 2 HDMI outputs. Not enough to justify the extra money to me.

On a direct comparison, would you consider the elite vsx 21 to be worth the extra money as opposed to the pioneer 1019?

That's a tough one but I'd say it is. A better version of MCACC, a more powerful amp section better internal parts like BurrBrown and Wolfson DACs, a two year warranty and 17 more pounds. But most of us probably buy more receiver than we really need.

krisr2005

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Rhines
Well when you put it that way, the elite certainly seems a lot better. I like to buy overkill anyway, who doesn't. I have another totally unrelated question, but while doing listening to some music today, I noticed something that worried me a bit. Before actually playing anything (just had my pioneer receiver turned on) I noticed a light hissing from my tweeters from all speakers. It is very light, sounding very much like white noise. The sound is almost unnoticable from four feet away, with my ear in direct line with the tweeter and listening intently. Otherwise it's hard to notice the noise from 1 1/2 foot away from the speaker. Is this normal?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't get that from either of my systems but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Might be a loose connection somewhere in the system or caused by a particular source component. Double-check all the connections and try it with different components. Sometimes cable/satillite boxes can cause this type of thing but usually it's a loose ground wire somewhere. If it get worse with time then it would be cause for concern, otherwise don't make too much of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks