Looking for Plasma TV information

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Nelson Au, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I thought I'd post this here first before posting in the display devices area. I'm looking for a source for FAQ's on Plasma TV's. I might have to replace my monitor and thought I'd go for plasma. So I'm trying to educate myself.

Here's some questions I have, I will be going to stores to see them in person, but for now, just some questions pop to mind: Can the new plasma screens tolerate the kind of use we inflict on CRT TV's, such as frequent on and off for short viewings? What to expect from a non HD source, such as our large DVD collections? Will they look as good as they do now on a conventional CRT/RPTV. (Hate to see the investment on DVD's go obsolete just yet! But I'll see in person. ) No one likely knows how HD-DVD's will look, but assume it will be clearer. From what I've found from the advertisers on this site is that most sets require a separate tuner to recieve broadcast, conventional and what about HDTV?

What to look for, such as the resolution, 1024 by 1024 vs 1024 by 748, or whatever the resolutions are; brightness and contrast figures, etc.

Thanks! Nelson

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The AVSforum has the largest plasma discussion area that I've found.

Hard to say with the "on and off" stuff....I never did that with the CRT set my plasma replaced, but I've seen no difference and/or problems with regular usage. DVD's look substantially better but my last TV couldn't accept a progressive scan signal so that could be part of the difference.

All in all, one of the best purchases I've made for my HT.

Mort

3. Nelson Au

Thanks Mort-

I'll check out the AVSforum. Good to know you're pleased with the quality of DVD's on your screen.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i wouldn't worry too much about that. i assume you have an external source (cable box, dish satellite receiver, hd stb, etc) that will provide the video feed to your plasma. i think very few people ever end up using their plasma as anything except a monitor.

5. Nelson Au

Ted-

Actually, I'm one of the few who dosen't have cable or satallite. I don't plan on it anytime soon either. So I guess I'll need an HDTV reciever box.

That's good info regarding the upconvertion from 480 to 1080. I forget if it's an "i" or "p" too. But if I recall, "i" is interlaced and "p" is progressive.

Nelson

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

The new plasma screens will tolerate anything a CRT will.
    Your DVD's will look better than RP CRT, more 3D like(IMHO, I've owned both), but will depend on the quality of the DVD transfer.
    If you purchase a plasma monitor, you'll need a seperate STB. I believe that's the way to go. It saves $$$ for tuners and speakers you don't need!
    1024 by 1024 is an Alis panel, while good, I'd go for a panel that produces 1280x768 or better.
    Better resolution, and a more seamless PQ.
    For contrast, I'd look at any set that uses the panny glass.(3000:1 contrast)
    The Fujitsu is probably the best set, by which all others are judged.
    The PQ from a non-HD source will depend on how well the internal electronics scale the picture.
    Some HD sets do poorly with an SD signal, (Cable or Sat) while the Fujitsu and the Panny, do quite well. Your eyes will notice the difference right away!
    Here is how good a DVD can look on an ED plasma. Remember, this in not HD, and the PQ is amazing!
    I think you'll be intrigued!!!!!
    http://www.pbase.com/chunkofunk/screen_shots_gallery/
    Good luck in your search for a new toy.
    Vb

7. Nelson Au

Simia-

Thanks for the input, good to know these plasma screens can take some kind of usage CRT's can. Appreciate the link and thoughts about ED. I am surprised about the number of people going for the ED panels over HD displays. Cost is obviously a major factor. And Panasonic name keeps popping up in my research. I'll keep that and Fujitsu in mind. I would have thought Pioneer was up there too.

Good stuff, thanks!

Nelson

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The PQ from HD sources on an HD plasma will also depend on how good the internal electronics scale.

If 1080i HDTV is treated as 540p going to a 720 or 768 row HD plasma, the quality may be only slightly better than DVD which is standard definition.

If a plasma TV treats the red, green, and blue stripes as separate pixels as opposed to treating specific red, green,and blue clusters as one pixel each, the PQ will be better.

Unfortunately I do not know of any easy to find and easy to use test patterns to verify either of the above.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

I would like to see some barebones plasmas, without Faroudja DCDI de-interlacing, comb filters, etc. since some folks want to choose their own as an external unit such as an iScan or a personal computer.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please, when an HTF member posts here in HTF asking for information about a display technology, we prefer that someone here responds directly to the question instead of directing him or her to another discussion board.