What's new

Looking for pictures/ideas for non-dedicated theater (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
I'm in the process of finishing my basement, which will have one room as the theater room (non-dedicated). I have the general layout of the room figured out, but I'm looking for design ideas to make it unique/interesting. I'm going for the whole entertainment theme in the entire basement, and want to have something fitting. Here's a diagram of the basement and planned layout (box under the stairs is a recessed equipment rack):
basement_dimensions3.gif

So, if anyone has pictures of their non-dedicated theaters, or any design ideas for me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Rick Mostaert

Auditioning
Jason,
I just posted my design for a non-dedicated basement HT/pool room/bar. (link) Maybe you could get some ideas from that. I have a neighbor with a similar layout with just a TV and it is a cool place to hang out. The other half of my basement (not shown) is a bathroom, workshop, utilites and laundry.
I noticed in your design you appear to have some wasted space behind the couch by the stairs. Another idea would be to put the TV on the adjacent wall, wall off that space by the stairs for storage or something and open up the room to the pool table room. Just an idea. I like that layout for watching sports or for parties.
Couple of other cool things. We like darts so will have a nice dart board on the wall of the stairs. I will have lots of recessed lights on X10 dimmers for remote control. The wall along the windows adjacent to the TV will be all bookshelves.
Rick

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, good luck with your project. Your set up looks similar to my own orginal basement project, although I use a front projector and don't have a bar. My theater was non-dedicted, thinking that I would be hanging out with the family and buds (chatting) more frequently.

In retrospect my biggest regret was not "going all the way," from the get go. I found that nobody ever really went to basement theater for socializing other that watching movies together. My "game" area of the basement is where I found the general social seating more utilized.

My theater has now been converted to dedicated and I get many more "wows" from the buds. My suggestion would be to move the bar and social seating to the gaming area, and dedicate that theater space.

I can't say the same will happen to you, but I thought I might share my experience.

Rick Mostaert

Auditioning
I think Mike has a good point. In Jason's setup he has mixed the bar with the HT and the pool table in a different room. I would go either dedicated and move bar to pool room or open it up all the way. You will have to analyze your lifestyle and make whatever choice with which you are comfortable.

I was thinking for a while that a dedicated HT was the way to go but for several reasons I decided on the combo idea. I have future proofed my design (see above link) to allow an easy conversion to a dedicated home theater. Everything in the HT area is separated from the other area. Different lighting zone, 3 way switches for the other light zones with the second switch located with the lights in the other zones as well as all switches when you enter and separate heating ducts. The equipment rack would not move but I would setup a projector in which the screen would cover the egress window. Speaker wire changes are not a big hassle with a drop ceiling. All I would have to do is put up a wall and door underneath that beam.

I might be interesting to setup a dedicated thread to discuss dedicated versus non-dedicated and if anybody had regrets one way or another. Maybe this has been discussed in the past. If not, I think I will start one.

Rick

Jason Price

Second Unit
Rick,
Nice design - I hope you are able to address all your concerns. :) As for my basement, the wall separating the theater room from the pool table room is a load-bearing wall, so unfortunately, that wall is there for good. It would be nice to be able to consider that option, but alas, I am stuck with what I've got (not that I'm really complaining :) ). I have considered the inabillity to see the tv from the pool table room and am going to mount a small tv in the corner. I'm also going to mount a couple speaker in the ceiling in that room, for ambiant music. I believe I can setup both the audio and video with the 'zone 2' option on my receiver.
As for the area behind the couch, that's actually the "landing" area for the basement (the stairs go down the direction of the arrow). I'm planning on putting either a foosball table or a pinball machine in that area. I do also plan to put a dart board down there somewhere, just haven't figured out where yet.
All lights will be recessed with dimmers, and I plan to integrate a remote control system for them as well (probably X10).
Mike,
I have considered going the dedicated route, and to be honest, I don't really have the money or the desire to go that route at this point in time. I am, however, going to take steps to make that transition easier in the future if I were to change my mind. I'm going to run lines for a projector before I install the ceiling (drywall). I also would be able to close off that room fairly easily in that event. I appreciate the input, though.

Jason Price

Second Unit
In reference to the bar situation, I don't think it's really a possibility to put the bar in with the pool table. The pool table room is about as small as it can get and still allow for an 8' table and full length cues (it's actually about 12" short for that, but it'll do). I think introducing a bar into that room would make it feel really cramped, and would very likely interfere with actually playing pool, which is not very desireable...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks