What's new

Looking for pair of excellent main spakers, $200 budget (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-A200XT for $294.00 shipped.
I'm sorry to say this, but the NS-A line does not compare to most or all of the speakers mentioned. I had the smaller brother of these speakers - single 8" 3-way - I got them for $18/pr brand new! So I took them apart to see what they were made of and I was not impressed. Literally a $2 x-over, 22 ga wire, and the worst (cheap) cabinets I have ever seen.

On the positive side, they did sound good, but had the frequency response of a much smaller bookshelf speaker. I would not recommend these.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
, which certainly pleased our hosts.
The above article just confirms why I, and my usual family / friends Friday NITE crowd loves my four JBL S26's / S-Center / SVS 25-31PCi HT setup - can't wait to watch ATOC! Spiderman sounded glorious and the dozen family / friends that were over that Friday NITE, clapped as the credits started to roll at end of the movie, ... just like the Theaters! :)
Read another JBL S26 report here @ Eurotubes.com - JBL Studio series HI-Fi speakers website.
Have fun auditioning,
Phil

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
also keep in mind that whatever speakers you audition in the store will definitely sound different once you get them home.
the only way you should really audition speakers is in their final resting position anyway.
make sure the seller will take them back if you don't like them at home. watch out for any restocking fees too.

Matt Schaller

Auditioning
I have a question, some reviewers on audioreview.com say that the S26 has a "somewhat colored midrange." What does a colored midrange mean?

Thanks,
Matt Schaller

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't agree more.

I also agree that, over both the short and long haul, you'll be happier with JBL Northridge or Studio than with Yamaha speakers. And don't overlook Northridge. They are not the poor stepchild of the JBL consumer line, and there are many who prefer their sound to that of the Studio line. As someone who owns both S38s and N38s, I've come to appreciate how terrific the N38s are, particularly as front speakers in a 5.1 setup.

--AM

Matt Schaller

Auditioning
Well, after reading almost every review of the Millenia M3Ti (37 of them) I decided to purchase it at Axiom's factory outlet for $247.50. It is $47.50 over my limit, but I will live.

All of the reviews boasted about the customer service and the five year warranty. This makes me feel real good about the purchase I've made. All of the reviews were written towards music, and that is what I will be using my pair for. It is exactly what I'm looking for!

I thank you all for your responses. I can't wait to give these a listen.

Matt Schaller

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
On the positive side, they did sound good, but had the frequency response of a much smaller bookshelf speaker.
John, according to the specs of my speakers, the freq. response is 35 hz to 20 khz. Not too shabby - better than the NS-A60X speaker you are talking about - which is a bookshelf speaker and not a tower speaker which is what I have.

The speaker you are talking about is the NS-A60X and is indeed constrcuted differently. I have the specs of both speakers in front of me and here are the differences:

NS-A60X: 5 way binding posts
Ns-A200X: Gold plated 5 way binding posts, tweeter is aluminum with mesh grill

There are other differences, as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't heard the 200s, so I can't honestly say they are no good, but I have heard all the others in the series and they did not compare well to other speakers in their respective price ranges (just, IMHO). I think the whole line of NS-A is using the aluminum tweeter now (last time I looked). For an 8" (a60) driver (not a very stout one), the complete lack of bass was simply amazing. I've owned speakers with 5-1/4 drivers that have as good or better extension.
They have a very neutral sound, almost too neutral to the point of being lifeless. The thing I liked best about these speakers is that I sold them for a $40 profit :D Sorry, I'm not trying to pick on your speakers.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I honestly can't say how good the bass is because I have a 12" Velodyne sub for that. I am happy with the mids and highs.

Curt Gilker

Agent
Matt -
Good for you on the M3Ti purchase. I would be interested to hear your opinions as well as what other equipment you have in your "arsenal" in addition to the Sony sub.
I am still running a 20 year old Pioneer receiver, with plans to upgrade soon, so your experiences would help my decision.
BTW, have you joined the Axiom forum? Axiom Boards
In addition to the great customer service, there is lots of good Axiom-specific info there.

Matt Schaller

Auditioning
Curt, I don't have much else other than the subwoofer. In the end, this is my music setup will be:

Technics SA-EX140 receiver
Axiom M3Ti
Sony WM-40 active 12" subwoofer
Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones

I also have one Stanton STR8-80 turntable and will be getting another soon along with a mixer. I also have my Sony portable CD player connected to the receiver through an RCA cable and a RCA->1/4" jack converter. It seems to do the job!

I did take a look at the Axiom boards earlier today but I only spent a minute there. I am looking over it now.

I will definitely let you know what my thoughts are on the Axiom M3Ti's.

Until then...

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread