1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for pair of excellent main spakers, $200 budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Schaller, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Matt Schaller

Matt Schaller Auditioning

Hello,
    I need to purchase a pair of speakers under $200 that have very excellent mids and his. Lows do not really matter to me as I have a Sony WM40 subwoofer. Mid and high ranges are my primary concern for my speakers. My receiver puts out 100 watts per channel, so I'd like the speaker to be able to handle it (I like to play it loud).
    I have been told that Paradigm Titans are very excellent speakers, and everyone agrees at audioreview.com. The only problem is is that you cannot purchase them online and the nearest store that has them is 2 hours away. eBay has them, but I hate purchasing used speakers because who knows if they've been tampered or played with too much or not enough power. Also, two of my family members are going to Tampa on the 23rd, and they will have to pass the store on the way up. I just called the store and they said they just removed the Titans from the box to demo them and have them for $200 but yet again I hate to purchase opened products! I'm not sure if he said that there was another unopened box but it did not sound like it.
    Does anyone have any suggestions to other speakers that fit the description? These speakers are for music only, no movies. The only type of music I listen to is electronic. Go to this link for a sample of the music I listen to (in case it decides what kinds of speakers are best for me). http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ueryType=music
    Thanks again.
    Matt Schaller

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Matt,

I think JBL will be one of the best options you will have,

The studio series and the northbrige could easily fit your needs and budget.

Try to check

Studio series
    S26 $180, Which are the ones that I have and very good speakers.

Nortbridge series,
    N26 $140 Bookshelfs
    N28 $180 bookshelfs
    N38 $200 Floorstanding.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

3. Matt Schaller

Thanks Pablo,

Is there a difference between the Studio and Northbridge series?

Until then...

Matt

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

My choice would be the Titan's, although JBL S series are excellent as well. I've never heard any but you might want to consider some of the internet direct companies as well. Most claim they offer unbeatable value.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Matt:

While fully cognizant of the fact that the term "excellent" is subjective, I don't see how any $200 speaker could possibly be desribed in that way, under any circumstance.

Larry

6. Frank Carter

Larry,

I meant for the money.

Frank

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I think excellence can be achieved given any parameter.....even price [​IMG]

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be concerned with a demo pair of speakers. The audio shop won't abuse them, and speakers have an almost infinate life. Besides, they will already be started on their break in period.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are two pairs of Titans on Audiogon.com right now, both for $160, one says shipping included.
    I would not call the Titans "best" for music. Good for the price yes, but not the spectacular performance.
    Axiom M3Ti or M2Ti might fit the bill, but b-stock M3s are $247, regular price $275 (both including shipping). The M3 is a very good speaker for music. www.axiomaudio.com
    I also would not worry at all about opened box items. I have had no issues with used speakers, providing you can give them a look and listen first and/or return if they don't work.

10. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

11. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Quoth the Matt:

From what I understand, Matt, the Northridge series is JBL's entry level speaker set, and the Studio set is a step above Northridge -- High-end as far as mass market goes, but probably the lower end of the niche crowd. Still, the Studios are PROBABLY the best speakers you'll find in a national chain store -- I work at one, and they are the ones I got.

12. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Matt,

13. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Frank:

14. Frank Carter

Larry,

I agree

Frank

15. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

Matt -
    I also recommend the Axiom line. In addition to the M3i's (which I have), Axiom also makes smaller bookshelves that are highly regarded.
    The M2i is "Factory Outlet" priced at $229.50 US, including shipping to US and Canada. I have the Factory Outlet M3i and cannot find the reason they were Factory Outlet. No risk trial, just return them if you don't like them.
    Axiom Factory Outlet

16. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm Atoms. Nice speaker for mids/highs.

17. Matt Schaller

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your responses. They were very helpful.

I will be going to Best Buy on Wednesday to test out the various JBL speakers. I will probably be purchasing one of those (most likely the S series).

I am really disappointed though that no store nearby has any Paradigm products because I would really like to give them a listen before purchasing. It is a very crucial thing to do when purchasing something that involves your hearing.

Matt Schaller

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-A200XT for $294.00 shipped. They are three way - dual 8", 4.25" mid, 1" tweeter. I've been pretty happy with them.

Best Buy carried them, as well - for more money.

19. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Good luck with your purchases, Matt.
    Be sure to pick up LOTR Extended version or Episode II while your out to give your speakers something to play! [​IMG]

20. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

I will be going to Best Buy on Wednesday to test out the various JBL speakers. I will probably be purchasing one of those (most likely the S series).

>>>quote
    try to go in with an open mind, and compare "blind" if possible....