What's new

Looking for opinions on the Hard Boiled/The Killer DVD (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
How is the Fox Lorber DVD release of The Killer and Hard Boiled? Are both movies on one disc (like El Mariachi and Desperado?

How does the trasfer compare to the Criterion editions? I'm assuming that the extras aren't the same as the Criterion even though the website lists this release as a "Special Edition."

At $30 for both movies, it's a pretty good price, but I wanted to get some information before ordering.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Brent, here is the link.
After looking at that link, I see that is two discs and has theatrical trailers and featurettes. I'm glad to see that the subtitled versions are available as well.
It looks like the two movies are simply packaged together as a box set.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen the Criterion versions, but the Fox Lorber versions use the exact same transfers. They also have commentary tracks from John Woo.

I'd say you should buy the Killer/Hard Boiled 2 pack, as 30 bucks for both films is a bargain.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Fox Lorber discs have John Woo commentaries that are newly produced - i.e. not the same as the Criterion commentaries. The Fox Lorber "The Killer" features different subtitles than the Criterion. The quality of the film transfers are about the same as the Criterions.

Regards,

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
If you can handle PAL then Tartan UK have a nice region 0 uncut 1:85 anamorphic version of Hard Boiled with plenty of extra's (including 30 minute JW interview) although no commentary.

It's in Cantonese with burn in English subtitles, the transfer is not reference but looks a lot better than the Criterion did on my 56" telly.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Here's a few links for you.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/hardboiled.htm
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killer.htm
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerhkvideo.htm
The Winstar versions are the best at the moment for region 1. That is unless you can speak French and have a region free player that coverts PAL to NTSC. If you do, you can get the HKVIDEO version of THE KILLER.
The KILLER is will be coming out from HONG KONG LEGENDS sometime soon but i am not sure when.
The only thing about the Winstar version that may make you want to wait for anamorphic releases is that the subtitles fall below the picture on the bottom black bars. If you have a widescreen TV, they will sometimes get cut off. I am able to zoom the picture on my player out so it's not a problem for me.
As far as I know, these have no plans for an anamorphic release in region 1 at the moment. This is quite odd because WINSTAR has allowed these to both be downloaded online for rental from divxshowcase.com. They find enough interest in these movies to offer a downloadable version, but they won't produce an anamorphic DVD.
Matt

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
My irrelevant opinion is *F* Fox Lorber. :thumbsdown:
I love The Killer and even though I could have purchased the Fox Lorber edition of it, I went out and paid $150 for the Criterion version. I was fortunate enough to find the OOP Criterion Hard Boiled for $15 at a local Software Etc. :D (Fools, didn't know what they had!) I completely understand, however, the sensible thing to do is buy the less expensive Fox Lorber versions of both DVDs because they are only movies after all. I am just a Criterion nut. :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The 4 Hard Boiled versions (UK original release, anamorphic rerelease, Criterion, and Fox Lorber) are compared at the site:
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=161
I'm not sure that these movies could be restored, although I hear that Hong Kong Legends are preparing a release of The Killer for later on.. (from the same site as above)
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=615
jenz, the writer of these articles visits here from time to time, so I hope he won't mind me linking to his articles.

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd forgotten HKL had acquired the rites to The Killer (+ amongst others Bullet in the Head) that means one thing if your sane and can handle PAL & Region 2, which is wait for the HKL version I personally guarantee even if it's not perfect (there are some that slag HKL's Police Story even though it's the best version available by a million miles, but admittedly not upto Fight Club quality) it will be best version until HD-DVD for both extras and pic & sound quality HKL are Gods, they made Jackie Chan's Miracles look close to Fight Club quality, and don't forget nobody can teach the Cantonese about how badly to look after film, not even Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks