Looking for opinions on Non-Progressive DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Webb, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

Just as the subject says, I am looking for a non-progressive scan DVD player, in the $400 or less range.
    I want to do something nice for my parents for their anniversary and I thought I would get them a DVD player.
    Priority would be picture quality, then ease of use, and then features (zoom, DVD-A, etc.)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Personally I think any of the around $200 players would be fine. The Pana RV-31, the new Sony's. You won't find any zoom or DVD-A features on a player that is not progressive scan though (I don't think). Just my 2 cents.
    Tim

3. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I just receivered a JVC XZ-S45GD and I am very impressed with its built quality, styling, and features. It has a very cool chapter review feature. Also, JVC has no problems with repair if you purchase from dealers that are not authorized.
    Check out DealTime.com if you are looking to purchase anything on the web. They listed a number of companies that were selling as much as $37 below what jandr.com quoted as their cost [​IMG]. Yes, I was sceptical, but took a chance and it worked out.
    If you are looking to adopt a brother, I am available [​IMG].

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, take a look at the Pioneer DV-440 for around $200. It's only 2.25" tall, has a 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC, and plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3-encoded CDs. It looks like a very nice player for the price. Here is a link to it on Crutchfield's web site:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0DV440&o=M&a=0
    Crutchfield usually sells gear for the same prices as brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter. Check Crutchfield's web site for info., but you might be able to get the '440 cheaper from OneCall (1-800-340-4770) or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180).
    Other than the '440, you should be able to get quality players from Panasonic or Sony for around $200.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime