Looking for ONE speaker for my rear center.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Tyner, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Steven Tyner

Steven Tyner Auditioning

I'm looking for any help in me finding one speaker for my rear channel.I have Polk F/X 300i in the back.I would really like a bipole/dipole speaker.I can't find anyone selling one speaker.Thanks,Steven.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Boston Acoustics makes a bi-pole solo speaker for EX/ES 6.1 applications. I don't know how it will timbre match to your Polks however. It's part of their reference VRM line.

3. Gary Wa

Gary Wa Auditioning

I'm also looking to add a sixth speaker for the rear - would it be that much of a sin to just add a center channel speaker in this case? Also, is timbre matching that much of a big deal considering how little information (relatively) gets passed to that rear channel? I'm thinking of just buying any modestly-priced center ch. speaker and adding it to the rear.

4. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

i have polk F/X 500I as my dipole surrounds

i have the cs 245I as my rear center

if you have a single rear center speaker, get a direct firing center speaker

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I bought a center speaker identical to my front center single rear duty in 6.1 and it sounds fine.

6. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I would recommend two speakers in the rear....if for only the reason that with audio formats and component formats changing...you might be glad you added the extra speaker.

As you might have guessed. I learned the hard way. I had a rear speaker....then I bought a Lexicon with Logic 7. Patch the wall, paint the wall, rewire and remount speakers.

My point is you never know what upgrade is around the corner.

Good Luck

Ron

7. Jeff_Jergerian

Jeff_Jergerian Auditioning

I just ordered two pairs of JBL S36 speakers to use as rears. I will only end up using three of them for now with my Yamaha 6.1 receiver (HTR-5490). I tried hard to find a dealer to sell me three of these, but I had no luck. I figure I'll go ahead and keep it in case I end up needing it for a 7.1 setup in the future. If I happen to come across someone looking for just one of these, however, I would be willing to sell it. I know that some speaker makers are starting to sell speakers in sets of three (e.g., Pinnacle Quantum), but the JBL's are a closer match to the Infinity Interludes I'm using in the front. Total price for the set of four JBL's was $498 from BestPrice AudioVideo (online dealer).

Good luck!

jj

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One way is to just match the center (front) speaker you already have.