What's new

Looking for Older Dolby receivers with 5.1 inputs (1 Viewer)

JohnMark

Agent
I would like to choose an older high quality HT receiver which had 5.1 channel analog inputs to use with a DVD/CD player having built in decoder. An older top of the line dolby THX receiver like a Technics SA-TX50 or similar. Any advice out there? There must be a lot of them that originally only had a Dolby prologic decoder on board.

I would also like it if the receiver had pre-out/main-in loop for biamping or adding equalizer.

Any help appreciated!!

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
What about an Onkyo 919? It has a DB25 multi channel input. It's a great receiver! Too bad I just gave mine away to my brother-in-law.

Arnold

JohnMark

Agent
Those 2 suggestions sound good. Even though I was hot on the Technics SA-TX50, I was concerned about service if it ever needed any. I'll keep my eyes open.

Any other suggestions out there?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Marantz SR-96 is same as HK AVR80II. I think the Onkyo 919's little brother, the 828 would work for you too.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Marantz SR-96 is same as HK AVR80II. I think the Onkyo 919's little brother, the 828 would work for you too.
Ditto the SR-96. In its day, it was highly regarded.

It is still the centerpiece of my rig. I am connected just as you are planning, with a Pioneer 45A Universal player (anone chimes in that it has the chroma bug, and I will beat your dog!).

Just be aware that, depending on what player you choose, you may not get complete (or any) bass management. The 6CH in on the Marantz has no BM.

I have an ICBM between the Marantz and the 45A.

BGL

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned before, the Onkyo 828 and 919, both THX certified (THX 4.0 mode - stereo rears from DPL - not as good as DPL-II but way better than standard prologic).

Both units have a 5.1 input of the DB-25 type, which will necessitate an expensive cable, expect to spend at least $150 on this cable alone unless you find one with it built in. Bettercables can make this for you, make sure you get the correct sex for the db25 cable!

Also, both units have a pre-out / post-in loop for all five channels.

I have used both of these in my system (click on the house, then the "history" link at the bottom of the page for pics), and they are excellent performers.

The bass management on the Onkyos consists of selectable high and low pass filters, that's it. Made to work with the ED-901 DD decoder that sums all five channels and sends that to the sub along with the LFE (in all modes). Any DVD player with a 5.1 output is going to have bass management, maybe not for the "high-rez" format, but for DD and DTS definitely. This should not be a problem, but something you should be aware of.

I'll second the Marantz SR-96. Currently using my amp section only, with the Outlaw 950. No limitations (that I can perceive) driving 4-ohm Miller & Kreisel speakers. "6CH DIRECT" is pure pass-through without BM, as Brian L stated, but the pre-out/main-in loop arrangement with an external processor has worked without a hitch. I would be willing to part with mine (original box, manual, accessories & RC2000 remote) for the right offer. Never pass up an excuse to upgrade...

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Phillip,

Onkyo sells a DB-25 to 6 RCA "converter" cable for $13 plus $6.50 shipping (btw, this cable comes with the Onkyo 989 receiver0. It's not listed on the website, but anyone can just call onkyousa.com and order one.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Tobias,

If John buys your SR96....there's an Outlaw 7100 100x7 amp on audiogon for $725/obo...

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
John: The examples listed above are MUCH better than the Technics model you originally asked about. The old Technics line was ok but not in the same quality league as these others.

IMO, I'd try to buy the best I could afford. And at used gear prices, you should be able to move to the best of the former best.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo sells a DB-25 to 6 RCA "converter" cable for $13 plus $6.50 shipping (btw, this cable comes with the Onkyo 989 receiver0. It's not listed on the website, but anyone can just call onkyousa.com and order one.
Sorry to distract the thread but does the cable have 5 or 6 RCA's?

I ask because this cable (two of them actually) would be very useful to connect a THX EQ (which I have) between the pre out/power amp inputs of the SR96. Sure would eliminate some of the cable mess in my rack.

It also would be nice to just connect to a THX amp, but again, they would normally be 5 channel, not 6. The sub-out would need to go elsewhere (usually).

On the SR96, since there is no power-amp in for the sub, you would have 6 lines leaving the 96, but the sub return line would need to get to the sub itself.

No biggy I suppose, and the price is very good. I could just use a female/female RCA connector to get the sub hooked up.

BGL

JohnMark

Agent
Thanks for all the advice.

I have all the amps I need.. A 5 channel Newcastle
and a 4 channel adcom.

I plan to actively bi-amp fronts and centers. This is really why I need the pre out/main in loops. They will be full range, so bass management for them is not really an issue. Have started to build my own speakers.
The most challenging aspect is finding a suitable 3 channel electronic crossover, there are a few but they are expensive.

I'll post a web page when I'm done.

John

JohnMark

Agent
If anyone reading this thread has one of the units available, let me know.

I would like to trade if anyone is interested.
I have a pair of DCM TimeFrames (the older good stuff).

They are large floor standers and very heavy.
A semi-transmission line cabinet. I no longer need after constructing mu own fronts.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

If you're planning on using the receiver amps to biamp, you need to know that on the Onkyo 828 and 919 the rears are lower wattage than the fronts. It may not matter to you, but I think they're 90/90/90/50/50 or something like that.

JohnMark

Agent
I was going to use the receivers front and center amps to power the upper/mid range section of my speakers, and an external amp to power the bass sections. I would not bother to bi-amp the rears.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
The Onkyo cable converts to 6 RCAs. Remember, you would still need 6 RCAs to connect to your DVD Player (or Equalizer). Partexpress.com has affordable single RCAs in various lenghths.

JohnMark

Agent
I read some good reviews about an older Yamaha V2090, and someone had a unit for sale on this site. But it is missing the .1 LFE input from external decoders (it has only 5.0 channel inputs) which seemed really odd.

If I ran the .1 LFE output from the DVD player directly to my subwoofer, I would have to use the volume control on my subwoofer. I'm not even sure if the output voltage from the DVD's LFE output would drive the subwoofers amp.

Has anyone figured this one out?

Ricky T, I've been looking at the Outlaw amps, but I only need 5 channels and I'm looking for something with a little more power. The SR-96 provides 110 watts RMS (into 8ohm load) across the front.

John, like the Onkyo, the Marantz does not have equal power to all channels (110 front, 90 surround), but it is somewhat closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks