What's new

Looking for older 5.1/7.1 receiver (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'm finally able to rebuild my hometheater after almost two years! My setup will once again be in a small bedroom so 7.1 will not really be an option, but who knows what the future holds so I don't want to limit myself. My requirements for the system are pre-outs for all channels, multi-channel in, and great sound for music and movies. Kind of vague I realize. I am going to be using it with a Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amp so amplification is not a big consideration. Some of the units I have been looking at or trying to find are:
  • NAD T752 - my top choice right now as it has pretty much everything I am looking for in a receiver.
  • Integra series (no specific models)
  • Pioneer 45TX/1014TX
  • Sony DA4ES
  • HK 330/430

I don't want something so old that it is lacking in connections or quality DACs and I don't believe any of the above listed are. Movie sound is paramount with music slightly behind. I'm open to all suggestions as I've been crawling the net this weekend researching receivers and DVD players and have come to no hard decisions on either. I've also not ruled out the Outlaw 950, but with other purchases still to be made I don't think I could pony up that kind of cash for one piece of equipment.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I had that NAD receiver and I just did not like it at all for HT. It was great for music, but it was just lacking any punch at all for HT. I replaced a Yamaha RX-V2095 with it but after a month went back to the Yamaha and moved the NAD to my music room. Since then I have eventually ended up with a B&K for my HT, moved the Yamaha to the music room and sold off the NAD. This is just my opinion. Also, watch out for the fan. Ealier models of the 752 had a loud fan problem.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
You may like the NAD. I think quite a few people liked the Sony you mentioned. Do a search and see what you come up with.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Allen:

This is easy.....find yourself an Outlaw 1050. Great for both music and movies, and I'm sure you can find it under $400.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1050 is extremely outdated. No PLIIx, or even PLII for that matter... I'd say the 1014TX is your best bet. It was an amazing deal at $450 (what i paid back in september at a local B&M, got it as a special order before they started shipping in bulk) and it's an even more amazing deal for what it can be had for online now. If you need another component video input or plan to use this along w/ a computer you might also want to consider the 1015TX (3 component inputs, WM9 support) which is just out and available under $500.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Unless you've done side-by-side comparissons, especially when speakers have FAR more influence on sound quality than electronics. If a receiver can put out close to its rated power (the 1014TX goes above it w/ 5ch driven) then from there you need to look more at features vs. price. And you won't find more true clean power and great features for the money.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I think the 1050 is just outside what I'm looking for. I should ammend my wants to include something that at least has DPL II. My first receiver was the awesome bang for the buck Onkyo 595. If that receiver had pre-outs I would most likely still have it today. I'm still keeping my eyes open on ebay and the deal pages for anything that might fit the bill, but nothing has jumped out at me as of yet.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'm definitely looking at some of the lower Denon's but that auction will definitely go above what I'm looking to pay.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have a 2803 I great shape that I just replaced with a Pioneer Elite. Not sure what would be a fair price for it. I bought the first week they came out. Still have the original box, papers, remote for it. Email me if your interested [email protected]

Andy_A

Second Unit
someone was selling a used 3802 here on the forum recently for $450 shipped. It may still be available. Also, I think the 1014 would be a great bet as would the 1050

Shawn_

Auditioning
I would definitely check out a refurbished HK 430, from their store on ebay. You can flash it to DPLIIx, should you desire.

I owned a Pioneer 1014 for 3 weeks, and found it nice for home theater, albeit lacking on low end "umph", yet very thin for music. It's not a very musical receiver.

I'm now test driving a HK 335 (the best HK I could buy locally @ Circuit City) and it's far and beyond better for music and seems to be as good for HT, maybe better in certain ways with the Logic 7.

I did like the Pioneer's adjustable EQ, but I'm guessing that with the 435/635's added Ezset/eq that I wouldn't need it.

I have 4 Ohm mains and the Pioneer would get flat out hot after a movie, as where the HK is barely warm.

Also, I didn't notice much difference in volume/dynamics/headroom from Pioneer's "110w" compared to HK's 55w.

Needless to say, I will be returning this 335 and ordering a 635.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I am going to recommend the Yamaha DSP A1.

It is a few years old now. It has all the pre outs, great power, great sound and longevity.

It doesn't do PL II but does just about everything else - VERY WELL.

This can be had for your $500 budget I am sure.

This was Yamaha's top of the line amp and is a steal at >$500 IMHO.

Dave

Yes, I own one bought it used a few years ago and have never had any problems with it. It is a tank.

Check out www.audiogon and ebay of course.

Andy_A

Second Unit
I have an HK AVR-325 that is basically new that I'm willing to sell (only in order to finance my trip to Italy this summer). I sent you an e-mail w/ information so let me know if you don't receive it.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Is the HK 430 upgradable or do you have to use some sort of "hack" to flash it for DPLIIx? Upgradable firmware would be a definite plus for it. Especially since you can buy them on the cheap on ebay or harmanaudio.com.

Shawn_

Auditioning
Harman Kardon released updated firmware for the 430 and 630.

From HK's site, on what the firmware updates.

The addition of Dolby® Pro Logic IIx® processing with complete parameter adjustment.

Additional control over digital input auto-polling.

Significant reduction of surround mode sense and acquisition time.

To get the firmware, it's located on their website. Goto their site, click "Product Support", Under "All Products" choose AVR 430 or AVR 630, click go, look for the "Upgrades For You Products" link to get the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks