What's new

Looking for non current limiting Surge Protection (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm using a bryston 9bst and a monster hts2500. when I plug the Bryston into the amp slot of the monster there is a noticible decrease in sound quality(especial on multichannel high resolution). The monster states the amp socket is not current limiting, but the sound definitely is worse. Can someone recommend a regular surge protector that absolutely wont limit current. If it has a 12v trigger input that would be a serious bonus.

Jeff

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As far as the Monster not being current limiting, one can't say with any certainty unless one knows the layout of the internal circuitry. Their website is notorious for a lack of information, and getting information from Monster is not so easy as typically one winds up going through their first line of defence, an answer-droid.
I don't know about the 12 V trigger, but in general, any shunt mode surge protector which includes MOV and silicon avalanche diode types and also does not contain any series type components such as inductors will fit the bill. however, if you own your own house, you'd be better off not pissing money away on an expensive surge protector for your HT and instead install a whole house unit. After that you could well consider smaller units for some localized transient relief and some sort of power distribution center for your components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks