Looking for new surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheLongshot, Feb 14, 2002.

1. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I've just moved into a new place and I need to replace the surrounds I'm using since there isn't any room for them. Basically, I've been using a pair of 30 year old Sansuis as a stopgap measure until I moved.

To give you a idea of what I've been looking at, I'll tell you what I heard today. We started with an NHT SB-1. Fine, but I've never been impressed with NHT and that hasn't changed. Then I listened to a Mirage AVS 200. Pretty good. The last was a Paradigm Titan. Pretty close to the Mirage, but it was slightly more accurate and precise.

Right now, I think I'll be going with the Paradigms, but I want to hear what other people think. This is about the size I'm looking for in a surround. Dipoles aren't options, since one of them is going to be sitting in an open area not near a wall. Anything else I should be looking at?

Jason

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Someone have something to say?

Jason

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Why not match your fronts? What's the rest of your system?

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

The fronts are Vandersteens and the surrounds for them are pricey. (I think they were something like $500 a pair) Even the dealer I bought them from wasn't recommending them to me.

Jason

5. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

My Dad bought PSB Alphas for his Vandersteen fronts & center for the very same reason.

And I'm facing the same thing for my JMLabs, matching in-ceiling speakers are 'spensive!