What's new

Looking for new surround but am totally lost. (1 Viewer)

OGMCVilleTC

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
Hows it going everyone? I am new to the surround sound world (more of a video guy) but now I am getting a surround sound system to go with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I love gaming and watching blu rays and am looking to get a good system without breaking the bank. I have narrowed it down to two choices but don't know what some of the differences are or which one is the better choice. If I could get some assistance I would be greatly appreciative. Here are the choices.

Buy the Onkyo HT-S6100 7.1 Receiver/Speaker System with iPod Dock and other Home theater systems at circuitcity.com

Buy the Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1-Channel Home Theater with iPod Dock and other Home theater systems at circuitcity.com

Now is the Dolby Digital EX the same as TrueHD or is there a difference between the two. This is going to be for gaming and watching blu-rays in a 10X12 room (roughly). If someone can recommend or tell me the difference as I am completely lost with all the audio jargon. Thank you in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here is a link to the compare page on Onkyo's web site. I would go with the 6100 without a doubt. It can process the new sound formats DD TrueHD and DTS MA. The 6100 also does analog to hdmi up-conversion.DD-EX is the old 5.1 with a matrixed center-rear channel added. It's not the same as TrueHd which is a lossless audio format found only on BlueRay and HD-DVD.

Since you already have a BluRay player the 6100 is the one to get. And here is a good place to get it.

OGMCVilleTC

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
Thank you for the reply. I was leaning towards the 6100 anyways. Thank you also for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. I believe that is the system I am going to get and I like the recommendation on the site (no tax and no shipping!) saved me a little bit of money. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks