Looking for new Sub...advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I was looking at the JBL subs this weekend. AM thinking of upgrading my sub from my 10" Kenwood. IT has served me well over the years, but have the itch to upgrade. Am questioning between the JBL PB10 or PB12. Are these good subs? Or would you go with a Cervin Vega?

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Hi Sean,

Could you post a rough budget, and the size of your room?

3. Sean Moon

Room is about 10x10. I get a deal on JBL stuff for about cost that is why I am looking at those, same with Cerwin.

4. MarkyM

MarkyM Agent

SVS SVS SVS did I mention SVS

5. Tom Alves

Tom Alves Auditioning

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Sean, what is your budget? I am in love with this sub from aad. I have the aad c-10 and it is a great sub. I paid $410 for it. It rocks on movies and is very accurate and detailed with music. I watched Star Wars II the other night and this sub handled everything the movie had to give. Their website is www.aadsound.com

7. george king

george king Supporting Actor

You could go to
    http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/
    and have Brian build you a custom sub - built to your budget and specifications (if the two are compatible - i.e., you won't get a sub that does 16 hz at 100 dB for $300). When some money comes in early next year, I will probably have him build me a sealed sub with a 12" driver, heavily braced MDF, and a nice oak veneer - the quoted price is roughly $500.
    So you may want to check it out - he is a great guy to deal with.

8. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Hi Sean,

I didn't realize you were favoring JBL already--I haven't heard much (positive or negative) about their subs.

The current forum favorites in budget subs are the Sony SA-wm40 ($140 ish) and the Audiosource sw-15 ($200 ish). Both require small tweaks to get the most from them.

After that, it appears as though SVS is the way to go...starting at $550.

Derek

9. Sean Moon

The SVS is tempting, but am debating on what to do. I can get the JBL stuff at close to half price through work. Their studio series 12 in, which is a 400W sub I can get for about 380. That is a retail value of 700! I looked at upgrading my whole speaker system too.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sean,
    As always people want to help but miss the point your making.... You have access to 1/2 price discount on JBL & Vega!
    The subs they mention are all good performers but I think they missed your important point.
    I am going to assume your max budget is the 380.00 you mentioned for the Top line 12-JBL.
    With a room size that small, it won't take allot of sub to get some pretty good spl and extension.
    If your budget allows 400.00, then a call to Rutledge/Brian would be in order as he can build to suit your needs and produce a sub for you that will destroy all the subs in your that price range, including the higher end JBL.
    If you prefer to stay with your discounted products, I say buy the best sub you can from their.
    You make the call on what sounds good to you. See if you can bring your selection or selections home, for what they sound like in store can and will be very different once in YOUR room.
    Ideas and advice is just that. Personal preferance. Numbers, specs, and graphs can give you a good idea of performance but the bottom line is, it's your room your sub. Your small room will provide ample natural free room gain and the 12 your considering might very well serve you with plenty of depth & impact..
    Though don't expect 115-db at 20hz at your listening position with any of the subs "YOU" mentioned...[​IMG]
    I would recommend staying away from the Vega's unless you have access to their high end line which I doubt is carried where your discount is it. The Vega's are not known for clean accurate bass buy any means. BUT some people like loud and dare I say, boomy! [​IMG]
    No offence to Vega sub owners
    Of the sub "YOU" mentioned, I would look to the 2 different models of the bigger JBL-12's. The differance will be power and extension and what you want to pay to get it. Both subs have a decent rep here....The higher end JBL is lesser known as it's newer and at retail, there are better subs to be had for that kinda dough!
    BUT you have access to it (700.00 JBL-12) at a very large discount so it's in the game you might say.
    Good luck and demo at home if at all possibly... If you have not already, read up on placment/adjusment so as to get all you can out of what ever you bring home...
    Enjoy your, Yet to be new Toy [​IMG]
    Geoff

11. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Agreed:

But many of the subs mentioned go far beyond his stated price of 380.00 for (JBL-Studio-12), also mentioned from the start ~{Budget Subs}~ then brought in the S-12...
    Who knows, he may be able to get the PB12 for 150.00 or less. He mentioned cost, I assume store actual cost.

He needs to state what he "actually has to pay for the PB-10 & PB-12" if their new, or open box, refurbs, etc, to see if it's worth while to look else where and at different brand subs.

If he wants to spend 400.00 +, hell yes there are better options, lots of them!

Geoff

13. Sean Moon

If I upgrade my whole system, I will more than likely go for the PB 12, as I will have a small room and the 250W downward firing sub will be more than enough.
    But if I only upgrade my sub I will splurge for the Studio series, and more than likely blow my room up and kill my neighbors dog in the process.
    The SVS is tempting, but if I go for that I will want to go about $900 for it, not the low end.

14. Steve Goolsby

Steve Goolsby Auditioning

If you're not opposed to buying a slightly used sub, I have a Velodyne CHT-10 listed in the "Subwoofers for Sale" section of the Hardware For Sale forum. I replaced my JBL PB-10 with it a couple of months ago, and I can tell you right now that the Velodyne blows the JBL away![​IMG]
    The only reason that I'm selling it is that I REALLY want an SVS 25-31PC+![​IMG]

15. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I might want to buy your velo if Sean doesn't.

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

c