What's new

Looking for new speakers... (1 Viewer)

Micah-

Auditioning
This is my first post here. I am moving to a new house and am using that excuse to refresh my home theater. I am currently looking for a good middle of the road 6.1 receiver, but have still not decided on speakers. I currently have a Definitive Tech. Power Field 15 sub which I bought in 1994. I love this sub and would like to keep it and add new front, center, and rear speakers. any suggestions? Room is 24' x 15'. Thanks! Micah

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi Micah; welcome to the forum. It would help everyone if you were able to give us your budget or at least a range. Also, you mentioned a 6.1 receiver; is that what your speaker system will be? Finally, do you want floorstanders or bookshelves as your mains?

Micah-

Auditioning
My budget is around $1000-$1500 for speakers. My wife would like me not to get front towers, she likes as small as possible. I am planning on setting up a 6.1 system. NOt sure whether to use my existing sub, or get a system that uses a smaller sub so I can use smaller speakers. Thanks.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I don't recommend those tiny little cube speakers. They are incapable of producing decent lower midrange. You really want main speakers with at least a 5 1/2" to 6" woofers. You can get very good speakers that are relatively small but very robust for their size. I also don't generally recommend HTIB's.

I've never heard your Def Tech sub but if you are satisfied with it, hold on to it.

A potential problem: With a 5.1 or 7.1 system you're dealing with speaker pairs (except the sub and the center channel). With a 6.1 system, you have one rear center channel. Smallish speaker are often sold only in pairs so you might be forced to buy a pair just to get the rear center.

Within your budget, I'd look at the following speaker lines: B&W (600 series), JMLab Chorus series), KEF (Q series), Monitor Audio (Bronze series), Paradigm (Monitor series), Polk (RTi series) and PSB (Image series).

Two examples:

B&W:
mains - 601 S3 $450 a pair
center - LCR 600 S3 $500
rears - 600 S3 $350 a pair
rear ctr - 600 S3 $175 (if sold individually)

Paradigm:
mains - Mini Monitors $399 a pair
center - CC-270 $299
rears - Mini Monitors $399 a pair
rear ctr - Mini Monitor $199.50 (if sold individually)

Those are MSRP's; most B&M's do give at least a 10% discount.

There are also several Internet only companies which make reputedly fine speakers: Ascend, Axiom and Rocket by Onix to name three. These companies have liberal return policies which, in effect, allows you to audition them in your home. I've never had any experience with these companies but many swear by them claiming that without a B&M middleman, they can sell them for less money. There may be some merit in that contention.

The key to finding speakers that you'll be happy with is to audition as many as you can. Recognize though that the sound you hear in a store may be noticeably different in your home -- due to a difference in room acoustics.

Have fun in your hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks