Looking for new RPTV recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Reid, May 21, 2002.

1. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

Hello folks. Been a while since I visited this site. Lost it for a while and changed computers.

Question I have, not being very familiar with all the new gadgets TVs have these days and only have a very, very basic understanding of HDTV.

I have decided it is time to replace my current Hitachi 60" Univision RPTV. Looking for something that is digital ready and has a decent screen.

I am also looking for a unit that will recognize, or at least be able to quickly locate where the video signal is coming from. I have a Pronto Pro, but still must cycle through 5 inputs to find the DVD or SAT. I know that Toshiba does have at least one unit that you can scroll down a short screen and choose the appropriate input. That would be much better then seeing the picture jump and listening to static - and slow (you could pop popcorn before you get the appropriate screen up).

Looking at spending about 2,500 or so. Would prefer to have a unit about the same size (60 inch)

As always, looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks

Gordon

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Are you looking for a 4:3 or 16:9 television. That could factor greatly into the cost of the television you are looking at. If you are looking for an HD set around that size, I am sorry to say 2500 isnt going to get you far. Maybe the Mits 55 inch widescreen, which is around 2500. THat is about as closr as I can think of.

3. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

I think 4:3 HD ready is what I am looking for. I would expect to purchase a HD tuner later when the format is set in stone. $2,500 was the minimum I expected. Probably looking at arount 3 to 3,500. I understand that 16:9 won't be of much use for near future. What do you think?

4. Sean Moon

What do you watch the most of? Standard cable/DBS, games, or widescreen DVDs?

I have gone the past few years with a 4:3 analog set and just upgraded about two weeks ago to a 47in 16:9 set. I watch almost nothing but DVD's and games. With most of my DVDs widescreen the set was worth it alone, and lots of games now are designed for 16:9, especially XBOX.

If you are wanting one specifically for one purpose, find what ratio what you watch is more common.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I for one love my 16:9 set after fantasizing about one for 3 years. DVDs are a whole new world now, especially after adding a progressive scan player to it.

5. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

We watch a lot of DVDs. Very little to none VHS. Main viewing is Dish Network. I may be persuaded to go 16:9 if it is worth it. It seems from your previous post that it is. What did you go with? I want a clear crisp screen with quick ability to change video source.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've got a Mitsubishi 55" HD 16 x 9 and I love it[​IMG]

7. Sean Moon

The quick video source I do not have, but I have most everything cwitched through my receiver, so the TV selection of sources was secondary. If you watch lots of DVDs a 16:9 set is the way to go. Progressive scan on a 16:9 set is a thing to behold.

I went with the Panny PT47WX49, a wonderful set so far, except for a few problems. Before that I was going to get a Mitsubishi set, but price became the final factor.

8. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    My personal preference, but I wouldn't waste money on an HD ready TV unless it was 16:9.....I bought a Hitachi 53UWX10b in December and absolutely love it.

Never considered a 4:3 set as I wanted to enjoy DVD's on the widescreen. Nothing, absolutely nothing beats a widescreen HT presentation of a good DVD with Anamorphic widescreen formatting. If you watch a lot of DVD's as you say you do you're missing a lot by not viewing in widescreen format. Pan and Scan absolutely BLOWS in comparison.

Please consider carefully before you sink that much money into a 4:3 set.