1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for new RPTV recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Reid, May 21, 2002.

1. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

Hello folks. Been a while since I visited this site. Lost it for a while and changed computers.

Question I have, not being very familiar with all the new gadgets TVs have these days and only have a very, very basic understanding of HDTV.

I have decided it is time to replace my current Hitachi 60" Univision RPTV. Looking for something that is digital ready and has a decent screen.

I am also looking for a unit that will recognize, or at least be able to quickly locate where the video signal is coming from. I have a Pronto Pro, but still must cycle through 5 inputs to find the DVD or SAT. I know that Toshiba does have at least one unit that you can scroll down a short screen and choose the appropriate input. That would be much better then seeing the picture jump and listening to static - and slow (you could pop popcorn before you get the appropriate screen up).

Looking at spending about 2,500 or so. Would prefer to have a unit about the same size (60 inch)

As always, looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks

Gordon

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Are you looking for a 4:3 or 16:9 television. That could factor greatly into the cost of the television you are looking at. If you are looking for an HD set around that size, I am sorry to say 2500 isnt going to get you far. Maybe the Mits 55 inch widescreen, which is around 2500. THat is about as closr as I can think of.

3. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

I think 4:3 HD ready is what I am looking for. I would expect to purchase a HD tuner later when the format is set in stone. $2,500 was the minimum I expected. Probably looking at arount 3 to 3,500. I understand that 16:9 won't be of much use for near future. What do you think?

4. Sean Moon

What do you watch the most of? Standard cable/DBS, games, or widescreen DVDs?

I have gone the past few years with a 4:3 analog set and just upgraded about two weeks ago to a 47in 16:9 set. I watch almost nothing but DVD's and games. With most of my DVDs widescreen the set was worth it alone, and lots of games now are designed for 16:9, especially XBOX.

If you are wanting one specifically for one purpose, find what ratio what you watch is more common.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I for one love my 16:9 set after fantasizing about one for 3 years. DVDs are a whole new world now, especially after adding a progressive scan player to it.

5. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

We watch a lot of DVDs. Very little to none VHS. Main viewing is Dish Network. I may be persuaded to go 16:9 if it is worth it. It seems from your previous post that it is. What did you go with? I want a clear crisp screen with quick ability to change video source.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've got a Mitsubishi 55" HD 16 x 9 and I love it[​IMG]

7. Sean Moon

The quick video source I do not have, but I have most everything cwitched through my receiver, so the TV selection of sources was secondary. If you watch lots of DVDs a 16:9 set is the way to go. Progressive scan on a 16:9 set is a thing to behold.

I went with the Panny PT47WX49, a wonderful set so far, except for a few problems. Before that I was going to get a Mitsubishi set, but price became the final factor.

8. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    My personal preference, but I wouldn't waste money on an HD ready TV unless it was 16:9.....I bought a Hitachi 53UWX10b in December and absolutely love it.

Never considered a 4:3 set as I wanted to enjoy DVD's on the widescreen. Nothing, absolutely nothing beats a widescreen HT presentation of a good DVD with Anamorphic widescreen formatting. If you watch a lot of DVD's as you say you do you're missing a lot by not viewing in widescreen format. Pan and Scan absolutely BLOWS in comparison.

Please consider carefully before you sink that much money into a 4:3 set.