What's new

Looking for new laptop - What do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
After many reviews and considerations I decided to go with the Compaq x1000. Much better hardware than the Dell inspiron 8500 I was considering. It doesn't get too hot either

I got a 1.3 Ghz Pentium M, DVD/24X CD-RW,
256 MB RAM (512 MB more on order),
WSXGA screen (excellent screen and resolution 1680X1050, fonts are not small at all just perfect),
no wireless(since I already have a D-Link wireless setup), 64MB Radeon 9200, 40GB Hardisk, JBL pro speakers (better sound than most laptops but not ultimate quality),
SD card reader integrated, 3 usb 2.0 port, 1 firewire, 1 PCMCIA, ! parallel port, 1 serial port, 1 ethernet port, and s-video output.
Total after rebates: $1182!!!

I hope I don't need compaq support since there is a lot of people complaining about horrible service...

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Dell or Compaq, the service is lacking. Being a proud Dell laptop owner I can vouch for their sub-standard support...although I have had a few pleasant experiences. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new pc!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i am in the market for a laptop as well, and i usually buy dells. everyone that has asked me advice for a desktop or laptop has bought dell, and been happy. however, i think the current dell models are god awful ugly. and maybe a bit expensive for what you get. this has led me elsewhere. ive been looking at HP laptops, has anyone had experience with them? they offer some good deals too, although you gotta use the mail-in rebates :angry: AND...if you upgrade to windows XP professional, do you get a real version of XP, or is it a backup/restore disk? i want a real version with a real serial number and everything, if i am going to upgrade. the first thing i will do when i get the thing is wipe off windows and start over anyway. any help is appreciated.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
nobody knows about HP giving either restore CDs of the real thing? what about other companies? i hate the idea of putting all the crap back on that i want to take off in the first place...

CJ

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Well for my compaq(So i suppose hp too) laptop, they sent the windows xp home disc, and a separate disc with drivers.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
so i called HP last night, apparently they give you niether, you get a restore 'disc' on a partition on your hard drive. pretty cheap if you ask me.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks