looking for new CD changer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Rakowiecki, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I need some help. My Denon DCM 420 carousel changer is starting to give me some trouble after 13 years of reliable service. Nothing major but I think it may be time to relegate it to my bedroom system and look for a replacement for the main system.
    The front runners at this point are the Denon DCM-380 and the H/K FL 8385. I am also considering the Onkyo DX-C390 and the Yamaha CDC-685.
    Is there anything elese I should be looking at or do you have any thoughts on the players I have already checked into?
    I don't need DVD, SACD or DVD-A capability on this machine as I alredy have a Denon 2200 to fill that need. I'm just looking for a decent changer to replace my old denon.
    Just a note, this will be connected to a Denon 3803 reciever and I will probably use both analog and digital connection and switch back and forth depending on the source.
    If anyone could enlighten me on the advantages of HDCD I would appreciate that as well.

2. mikeMarz

mikeMarz Extra

I don't know much about the HK FL 8385 and I was wondering about it's performance myself, but I do know that HK has been around for a long time and that their receivers have never let me down. I own an AVR 5, and am planning to upgrade to the AVR 235. It has a ton of features and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, if you buy online, anyway.

Anyone who has info on this particular CD player, it would be greatly appreciated...?

THANKS!!!!

3. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

yammie 685 has my vote, can't add too much right now as I'm trying to calm a crying baby...beat the denon in my in=home comparison.

4. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Jim...did you ever get a new player??

5. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I eventually settled on a Denon DCM380 that came to me as a refurb from DAKMART. This is my first forray into the refurb market and I have to admit I was a bit nervous but the unit was cosmetically perfect and came with a one year warranty (same as new) which is valid at any Denon service center. When it was all over I paid about 55% of the price of a new unit and so far I have been very pleased and have no regrets in going with the Denon or buying the refurb.
    I did audition all the units I was considering and they all sounded good and performed well which made for a difficult deciscion.

6. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I also bought a Denon refurb - DCM280 from ecost last year. Only had a 90 day warranty, but it was ridiculously cheap and has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood). I sometimes wonder if I should have sprung for the 380 - don't think there are many HDCDs I'm interested in, but curious if the DAC is noticeably better.