What's new

Looking for new CD changer with mp3 capability (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm wanting to replace my Kenwood 5-disc changer in my HT. Does anyone know which companies make mp3-capable CD changers (preferrably 100-300 disc mega changers)?
I found the RCA RP8078 at Best Buy yesterday for $119. They also had an open box RP8078 for $79. Has anyone dealt with this player before? Pros/cons? (I personally have never owned any RCA equipment so I do not know if they can hold their own.) They boast to have Multiple Compression Rate Capability. Would this be so they can play mp3 files encoded using a Variable Bit Rate instead of a fixed? :confused: And if anyone has owned one, can you comment on overall sound quality?
While the 5-disc changer would definately be an option, I would prefer a mega-changer as I have over 50 mp3 discs (almost 4000 mp3 files). I have to keep a spreadsheet on them for reference to play them on my PC. ;)
Thanks in advance.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Interlaced player option:

Panasonic DVD CV51 5 disc carousel.

Not handy for MP3 playback though. Works well for video and audio etc. You can't program the playback of the MP3's and you can't do shuffle play of the MP3's. Otherwise, its a little slow with CD's, reading the disc initially. The player works ok in other respects. I appreciate being able to put in BOTH the movie and the extra's DVD and then also have a CDRW full of MP3's in there at the same time.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have a Toshiba 5109 so I am not looking for another DVD player. The sole function of what I am looking for is CD/MP3 playback. I may pick up one of the RCAs and see if it's worth anything.

Thanks.

Chris Svencer

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if you ever picked up the RCA. I am in the same boat, don't need DVD just mp3 and CD. What did you end up getting?

Svence

Yiannis

Auditioning
Bump for any reviews on the rca RP8078 changer.

[edit]Sorry I just saw a negative review on the machine by searching the forums with keyword "RP8078"

You might want to consider using an Audiotron to play your MP3s on your HT. I have well over 4,000 MP3's, and the Audiotron does an excellent job. It doesn't actually store any files, it allows you to play the files stored on your pc/server.
www.audiotron.net

Yiannis

Auditioning
Unfortunately I have over 10000 mp3 on CDs. So although the audiotron looks terrific for someone with their collection on HD I need an mp3 cd player. Of course audiotron plus the computer cd player could do the job but a standalone machine would be better as my computer is not on all the time. Thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks