Looking for new A\V receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by IanLR, Nov 2, 2005.

1. IanLR

IanLR Auditioning

Hello everyone I am considering a new av receiver to purchase.I definately want HDMI switching, video scalling and quality sound. My receiver will be used to connect my dvd player, gammming console, directv hd receiver, digital cable, my pc ,and I use a dell 3300 projector as my display. Below are a few of my considerations. Any info on the performance of this receivers would be appreciated.I would also appreciate any othr suggestion.(max $1500).
    Thanks.

Pioneer's new Elite VSX-74TXVi
    Pioneer's new Elite VSX-72TXV
    Denon AVR-3806
    yamaha RX-V2600
    yamaha RX-V1600
    yamaha htr-5990
    jvc RX-D401S/D402B
    jvc RX-D702B

2. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

HK???

3. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I will recommend Denon AVR-3805 over the 3806. The 3805 can be had for about $900 whereas the 3806 does not offer that great number of features to pay a premium for the 3806 unit.

I have a 3300 which was discountinued awhile ago, and even when I am having some issues with the 3300, I would replace it with the 3805.

My Denon 3300 unit is going to an authorized service center this weekend, and if the repair is not cost effective, I will replace it with the 3805.

I have looked at different brand names, but I have yet to find one other than Denon 3805 which offers me the most inputs for my money.

I own a dvd player, a US PS2, a brand new Japanese PS2, and an Xbox (which I will replace with a 360 as soon as MS gets its act together and start selling 360s either with blu-ray, or HD DVD-rom). Of course, if the PS3 comes along, I will get one two, but I will now wait until a year after the PS3 comes to the market to buy it.

Good luck!

4. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

If HDMI switching and scaling ability is that important for you, then look to the Yamaha RX-V2600. Of the units you mention, I believe it is the only one with the ability to actually upconvert to full 1080i/720p. Most of the others will pass native to native, but not upconvert. This is where you have to read the specs, info, and reviews VERY carefully. Pioneer is especially good at leaving this spec out altogether, only mentioning upconversion. But as to what resolution, they are very vague. You would have to read a review to find this out much of the time, but even the new 74TXVi is incapable of upconversion into the HD realm.

I've done all the research on all but the JVC's (which is why I said, "I believe") and I'm quite sure that my knowledge is up-to-date until the next round of HDMI recievers hit the market.

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo 803 has HDMI switching look here.

Be careful with the HDMI and trying to use HDMI from your Satelite or cable STB there are numerouns "handshake" issues with the HDCP. For info on this regarding the 2600 try this link.

The STB HDMI issue is talked about ad nauseum. Not trying to scare you off but trying to educate you.

I also was in a quandary about what AVR to purchase and my questions and answers are in this forum on this thread.

I was for sure going to get a HDMI AVR but now I think I may just purchase a very nice unit like the Yamaha RX-V2500 it s like the 2600 but no HDMI or upconversion and about 400-500 less too.

I was also pointed here for some nice AVR's too.

Good luck

Rick

6. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I already have. Yes, the 803 has HDMI switching, but no upconversion onto HDMI, which orestes listed as an important feature:
    [​IMG]

From what I can tell, most of the reviews on the 2600 forum you directed us to were very positive. Yes, there were some people with issues on hooking their cable boxes to the reciever via HDMI, but it seems to me that this can easily be solved by inputting it another way, such as by component cables. I would try it via HDMI first, though.

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I reccomend you go out and listen to as many of them as you can. The Yamaha 2600 is the best for video out of the bunch.

8. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    doesn't 3806 have analog (S-Video, composite, component) to HDMI upconversion?

i believe 4806 has the downconversion as well.

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

According to Denon's site it does. So the Denon 3806 and the Yamaha 2600 are the best for video.

10. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

The Denon 3806 has a ton more features than the 3805.
    HDMI switching, Audyssey, XM, analog to HDMI conversion, etc etc.

Read up on the Denon website.

However, HDCP & HDMI switching is going to be an issue not matter what receiver you buy.

11. Daniel Simon

Daniel Simon Extra

Since I'm looking for something similar in a receiver, I'll piggyback this thread. I'm going to use a Sanyo PLV-Z4 projector for my display. I already have my cables ran (1 hdmi, 1 component, 1 composite, and conduit for future cables). I'd prefer to just send as much as possible through the hdmi with a receiver that upconverts to hdmi (doesn't seem to be a problem there).

Now my question is - how important will upscaling be with a projector setup (expecting around 100" - 120" screen). If I insist on upscaling, then I'm pretty much going with the Yamaha RX-V2600. Unfortunately, finding a 2600 at a discounted price is difficult (it's my understanding that Yamaha keeps pricing more locked down on the RX series vs. the cheaper HTR series). If I pass on upscaling, my options open up considerably - one option would be the Yamaha HTR-5990, for around $400 cheaper, or various other brands/models.

I don't know what 480p looks like on a 120" screen (what I would get with the 480i de-interlacing that most receivers have) vs. 720p with the upscaler. So what say you - do you think upscaling is important enough to warrant a more expensive receiver, or does 480p look 'good enough' for projector-sized screen?

12. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i think you should consider an a/v receiver with video scaling. less cables, future-proof, etc. there's really no downside!

as for me, i'm a bit finnicky. i want an a/v receiver to manage both a HTPC i/o AND standalone HT functions. it does wreak havoc a bit. you'll need 2 HDMI outputs. 1 for front projector and 1 for computer display/HDTV (for example the Dell 2407 or 3007). and because those things aren't available i'd probably need 1 HDMI and 1 component output with ALL sources up/downscaling to BOTH HDMI and component. =).

13. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Bobby T said:

As I've mentioned before on this sight, you can not depend on the manufacturer's website for accurate specs. Many, including Denon and Pioneer conveniently leave important details out, stating only "upconversion via HDMI." But to what resolution? This is why it's extremely important to read 3rd party reviews and specifications, like the one below.

[​IMG]

14. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Since my Denon 3300 has audio problems [I am taking it to a Denon Service Center this weekend], I may probably buy 3805. However, if someone here can tell me that there is an A/V receiver other than Denon 3850 and that such receiver has the following fetures, I may buy that one instead of Denon 3805.

I want a A/V receiver with the following:

4 video componet inputs to 1 video component output
    4 audio optical inputs to match the 4 video componet inputs

DTS/DD 5.1

and that's all. I have yet to find such a receiver, but Denon 3805 is pretty close to what I want.

Also I don't want to spend more $1000 or just $1200 at the hight end.

At home I have s 40 inch Toshiba TW40X81 HDTV unit, a US Playstation 2, a Japanese Playstation 2 BB Pack, a Nitendo Gamecube, Xbox [soon to be replaced by a 360], and I am planning to buy a new DVD region free player. So I do need more than all inputs I mentioned, but I will be happy to get a receiver with the specs listed above.

Oh I forgot to mention that I live in a small apartment and I only have Energy Take 5 speakers plus a sub. I am not planning to buy any more speakers, by the way.

I'd appreciate any comments, for I am not in a rush since I won't be able to buy anything until the first week of April.

Thanks,
    orestes

15. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    ah ha! i knew it. i knew there was somn odd when denonusa.com didn't even post video upconversion as part of 3806's spec when it first came out.

thus, if you want a true up/down conversion, 4806 is the next one up that will do so correctly at the present time... but it costs $2800+.

16. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    don't any of the consoles have HDMI-output? i would think 360 would have this "feature" at least.

as for DVD players, hopefully you can buy one with HDMI output so as to eliminate 1 more analog component wiring.

17. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

18. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

I actually OWN a 3806 and would like to point out that the 'upscaling'/'upconverting the 3806 does works as follows:

Composite/S Video goes in as composite/S video and out thru HDMI as 480i.

Component is transferred at its native resolution, i.e. if it comes in on component as 480p, it goes out as 480p.
    If it comes in as 1080i, it goes out as 1080i.

I'm not sure exactly what else its expected to do!

I knew thats what it was supposed to do and thats why I bought it. (In hindsight ... I should have waited for the 2807, BUT due to all my inputs being 480p or 1080i the 480i to 480p 'upconversion' feature would be a waste.)

The fact is most folks with HDTV only use either 480p/720p or 1080i inputs.

The only thing it does is convert it to digital so it can be transmitted over HDMI and save having to run more than one cable to your TV.

I just thought I would clear that up before Shane starts ranting again.

I still think its a damn fine receiver and the HDMI switching is an issue for ANY receiver until the manufacturers get their act together.

19. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

All I'm saying is, that when you are about to shell out hard-earned money for a good reciever, that it's important to do the research, choose the features that are important to you, and then choose a model that has those features by reading everything you can about all models that potentially have those features. Viewing the manufacturer website as a complete source of information will lead to a speculative purchase, at best.

Never said the 3806 wasn't a great reciever. I used to own a Denon reciever and loved it. It's great that you found a reciever that works well for you!

20. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Guys here is a new review on the 2600 here.

Just enough info to muddy the waters a little bit.[​IMG]