Looking for music similar to Gyorgy Ligeti

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc D, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Not that there is a lot of music out there that sounds like what Ligeti has put out over the years, but I'm looking for very weird, frightening, atmospheric stuff.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

What little I've heard, I really like Ligeti. (Guess what turned me onto him? [​IMG] )
    A trip to his All Music listing says that Similar Artists are Iannis Xenakis, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and Pierre Boulez. Don't have any personal experience with any of them, but hope this helps.
    Also of some interest maybe his All Classical listing. It doesn't seem to have the Similar Artists feature that All Music does, but it appears to be more comprehensive in it's reviews.

3. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    If you got into Ligeti through Kubrick, you'd probably also like Penderecki, who was featured in The Shining.

4. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

The ironic thing about the bits of Penderecki's music that were used in The Shining is that the original works were religious/devotional in nature: I'd have to go back and listen to the pieces themselves to confirm, but I believe the primary work used was Jutrznia (Utrenya), whose subject is the entombment and resurrection of Christ. And the other work I believe was used was his St. Luke's Passion. Rather interesting use of religious music, wouldn't you say?

5. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions. I know some of Penderecki's stuff and most of what I heard is really great, the only problem with getting to know these is that it's very difficult to find samples (full samples) off of Morpheus and other music sharing programs.