1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for multiple X-over points? Read this:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chip E, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

2. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Chip,

What Brian says doesn't apply to all processors, just some of them.

Shawn

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I read it too Shawn. Your right.

4. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I wasn't clear on this article. I didn't think all processors were like this.

So for any of the other experts out there - is this article dealing with reality?

Does my Denon 3802 do the sub output in this way?

I thought the spec was full LFE (up to 120 Hz) plus whatever bass was taken from the other channels based on the crossover setting/size settings.

Bryan

5. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you guys, I think he is wrong. The LFE channel is the LFE channel and our denons output the ENTIRE LFE signal and only roll off the small speakers bass.

6. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Bryan,

"Does my Denon 3802 do the sub output in this way?"

Try it. Set your subs crossover to 40hz (or whatever the lowest point you can set it at) then using any DD material that has frequency sweeps on the LFE play them and see what comes out of your sub.

Shawn

7. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Shawn,

The lowest point is 80 Hz, and I don't have any DVD's with LFE sweeps. Avia (what I have) tests the crossover settings, so it sends the signal normally. Nothing is sent via the LFE channel. If there are any DVD's with this we could test it out. I think the Video Essentials DVD has this, but I am not sure.

Bryan

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Just get a Theta and not have to worry about it. The lesser price CasaNova does the same thing the Casablanca does.

Under sub output you can select either full or xover signal. Xover does as he is describing but full sends out anything being sent to it from the other channels plus a full range LFE signal. I know this to be the case because I once hooked my CasaNova up to a sub with no internal crossover and I had always had it set to full at home.

Talk about an interesting sound experience when this big ol' woofer is trying to play a full range signal. I had no idea the sub didn't have a xover and I was just sitting scratching my head and muttering, "It sounds funky."