Looking for MP3 player. Please help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Actually I'm looking for two - one portable and one car unit. Both in $200-300 range.
    As for portable market it seems to be rather small ARCHOS, iPod (hell overpriced?), e.digital. But I can't really find any quality reviews on them. :/
    Odyssey 800 - this one looks pretty cool, but it's not out yet.
    Now with the car unit I'm a bit consfused - there are too many of them, so far I liked:
    ALPINE CDA 7894 MP3 ($320)
    PIONEER DEHP 740 MP3 ($265)
    JVC KDSH 707 MP3 ($260)
    (all prices taken from auto-toys)
    but except for the interface I have no idea what the difference between them :b
    Is it possible to connect portable mp3 player to standard CD unit in the car if I don't have any designated inputs (well, I know it's possible, but how hard is it?)

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox with a 10GB drive a few weeks ago and I'm quite happy with it in many respects. The one weakness is PC software. I'm not a huge fan of the PlayCenter software that comes with the Nomad, but it's the only program that seems to work flawlessly with it. Microsoft Media Player 9 has a Nomad plug-in, but it's got lots of weaknessnes. So does MusicMatch's plug-in, but they say they're working on it.

I've got a ~4 year old Panasonic head unit in the car that has an AUX input on the front panel, making it a breeze to shuffle the Nomad between home, work and the car.

I was interested in the new Toshiba Mobilphile, but it wasn't shipping at the time I wanted to buy. Nor was the iPod for the PC.

3. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Nomad Jukebox .. - does it play CDas well or just shaped like that? And how big is it, can't find it dimensions on the web. What about sound quality?
    Actually it's very interesting idea to find simple car unit with aux - I like it. [​IMG] In such case I can spend more on a good mp3 player.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The Noman is just shaped like a cd player, it dosent pay cd's it has a built in Hard drive. Personally i love my nomad. its kind of hard on the batteries, but it came with 2 sets of Ni-Mh batteries so its not that bad really. as far as portability goes well you cant jog with it it will lock up if shaken too much or bounced around, at least mine does. so as far as portable ones go i have no suggestions except that the nomad works if you toss it in a bookbag or somethign and due to the fact that i returned 6 or 7 rio mp3 players before getting the nomad idont recommend them.

funny the guy at future shop thought i was trying to rip them off returning it so many times and he actually said to me that most people only return the rio players once or twice.... serious quality problems if MOST people ahve to return it even once.

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

If you are looking for a hard drive based MP3 player, the iPod is probably your best choice. However, if you would care to look at CD based MP3 players, then look no further than the SlimX (IMP-350) from iRiver. I've had one for a while and it is great! It's super thin, firmware upgradable, it has an FM tuner, it plays WMAs (and AACs as well), the remote has a small screen that displays track number, song title, artist, bit rate, type of music file (in a word, everything). The best part is that it has an 8 minute shock protection for when you play regular music CDs. The shock protection is a little less while playing MP3 CDs because the player actually loads the MP3 information into memory instead of having to spin the CD all of the time.
    In terms of car MP3 decks, being the owner of an Alpine CDA-7894, you can't go wrong with this on either. The sound quality is way ahead of the other decks mentioned and the sheer number of settings on the deck is mind numbing. Check out Sound Domain forum (Head Units) for opinions on various MP3 decks, many of those forum regulars own the Alpine MP3 decks (either this one or the ones above it in the product line).

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If I was buying today, I'd probably spring for the Nomad 3 which has 11 hour battery life (22 hours if you opt for the second battery), Firewire interface and a nicer array of accessories, like a wireless remote. It also has a configurable EQ and volume levelling feature.

7. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit