Looking for more Oomphff: Amp question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Zimmerman, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Dec 6, 2001
    I own a Denon 2801 receiver (90 watts per channel) and recently purchased a pair of Swan Diva 6.1 speakers. They are awesome and I now find that I enjoy listening to music in 2-channel stereo whereas before (due to limitations in my previous speakers) I listened in 5-channel stereo mode.

My understanding is that I might further improve my listening experience by upgrading to a more powerful amp. At some point, I plan to go the "separates" route (probably the Outlaw 950/770 combo) but that's a step that is down the road a ways.

In the meantime, would I (looking for opinions here) benefit from purchasing a Sampson S700 amp and using it to power the mains? Under that scenario, my understanding is that I would connect the FR and FL pre-outs on my receiver to the inputs on the amp.

Stupid Quesions:

(1) If I did that, would the volume control on the receiver still affect the volume of the mains?

(2) Would I find that keeping the volume of the mains calibrated to the other speakers (C, SR, SL, SW) would essentially negate the benefits of the separate amp?

Opinions requested.

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Jan 8, 2000
    1) yes, when using pre-out to feed external amp, you still can use master volume to control level gfor all speakers ( after you calibrate them);

2) No, it will not - using external amp (in my case it was Parasound 1500 added to Denon 3300) geives main speakers more "breathing space" - usually external amp has larger power supply and larger bank of capacitors, so rapid increase of volume or fast passages from piano to forte do not strain receiver power supply; sound is tighter both on attack and decay of sounds. Imagine that you switched from midsize, underpowered Ford Tempo ( while driving with family of four) to a nice engineered BMW 540. You can accelereate much faster, break sharply, steer precisely - and still obey speed limits :).

Consider getting a v.good 2 channel amp for fronts - Parasound, Rotel, ATI - and look at used gear for the best value.

Enjoy !