What's new

Looking for list of 4K films versus 2K conversions (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anybody compiled such a 4K/UHD listing on the net, as to which titles are true 4K releases and those that are 2K converted to 4K?

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I use IMDB. I look at the technical specs and check "Digital Intermediate". If it says 2k, then the UHD is fake 4k. There are some exceptions to the rule. The Martian UHD didn't use the 2k DCP. The filmmakers went back to the original 5k camera files and used those for shots that didn't have special effects, and combined those shots with visual effects footage from the original 2k theatrical DCP. So it's a bit of a hybrid.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I use IMDB. I look at the technical specs and check "Digital Intermediate". If it says 2k, then the UHD is fake 4k. There are some exceptions to the rule. The Martian UHD didn't use the 2k DCP. The filmmakers went back to the original 5k camera files and used those for shots that didn't have special effects, and combined those shots with visual effects footage from the original 2k theatrical DCP. So it's a bit of a hybrid.

Just becuase it is a 4K DI doesn't mean that it wasn't filmed with a 2K camera and scaled before the DI. This is the stupid point of this whole 2K/4K DI argument. There is almost always going to be some 2K elements unless it was all filmed using 35mm/70mm film then had a 4K DI. Plus there are several 2K DI examples that are better UHD disks then the 4K versions. The next comment I'll make is that with the exception of a few releases the studios never say how the disc was made so there could be several more that are made from 4K DIs then IMDB can tell you. By the way that is not to mention all the additional things that need to be done to make a UHD disk like 10bit color and HDR.

The realorfake4k.com site is the one that I have heard most people use.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And, one of the issues with 4K UHD releases today is that most (if not all) of the effects-laden titles than have been rolled out during the initial months all have effects that are only rendered in 2K, even if the rest of the film's workflow was 4K. Not that some of them don't look phenomenally good. Even X-Men: Apocalypse, which was shot in 4K and is one of the best UHD releases so far where PQ is concerned, only has 2K-rendered effects.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
In all likely hood if the film was 3D in theaters it was probably 2k on the DI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks