Looking for Issues Re Pioneer SD533HD5 TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_B, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm getting close to purchasing a widescreen TV. I've seen the Pioneer models in the past (this one and the 64") and liked the way they looked, although I don't feel I am very discriminating from a video quality perspective. Assuming I actually come across the 53" unit, I'd like to know if anyone can provide any negative attibutes associated with this TV. Of course, I am the best judge of the impact of such attributes, but I'd like to hear what others think.

A couple of items to note. I would be sitting about 11' away, so I'm not sure if it is too far or not. It's hard to get a proper feel at the store, although I was ambivalent about the distance when trying it there a few months back (Best Buy). Unfortunately, my room situation is such that my speakers may be a problem placement-wise if I go with the 64" model. I may eventually go front projection, but I'd rather go with a TV at this time (at least, that's today's opinion). My #1 use is for DVDs. I may look into OTA HD once I purchase, and I will hook up standard cable to it, but I can always default to my 35" in another room for cable (although a good hockey game would be a plus on this set).

I would hope that there aren't any issues with using a 3rd party remote with it and that there are discrete codes or workable macros that can be used for some of the key functions, like power off and mode selection. I also recall that SVM is easily disabled and that there are separate memories for each video source, correct?

How does the TV fare with ambient light, let's say indirect light from a side window (that faces East)? Although I can control such light, I don't like to watch an afternoon sporting event in the dark.

Speaking of sporting events, how does the best stretch mode for 4:3 sources fare with sporting events? I was impressed with the stretch mode (don't remember which one), but did not test it out with material that had a lot of movement or material which is more sensitive to distortion.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Doug

Ideal viewing distance for the 533 is 8 feet and viewing hight 35 inches. The 533 is the only 16:9 set that delivered best quality with standard definition material. I just read it is being replaced. If you want one you ought to make your move soon.

Artie

3. JimmyD

JimmyD Auditioning

Doug,
    Go over to the Pioneer forum at the Home Theater SPoT and you'll quickly find out all you need to know about the SD533HD5. The forum is at:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...ubb=forum;f=20
    Someone just started a thread there discussing the discounting that is taking place on the SD533HD5 at Best Buy and people are getting them for around $2500:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...;f=20;t=001419
    Artie- From side-by-side comparisons, using my own video inputs, I made shopping for an HDTV the Pioneer AND the Sharp 55RWP5H both delivered great quality with standard def material.
    James