looking for interconnects

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Donovan, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Peter Donovan

I realize that different equipment plays a role on what cables work best, so, here's what I have (or will have soon): Outlaw 950 pre-amp, Anthem PVA-5 5-channel amp, Pioneer Elite DV-A 45 uinversal player, and older NHT 2.1 speakers (silk dome tweeters).

I need to get interconnects for the pre-amp to amp and pre-amp to the DVD-A/SACD player, so, it appears that I'll need 10 pairs!! That said, I'm not made of money, any suggestions for .5 meter cables under $75/pair? I actually work at a place that only carries AudioQuest, so, I can get that at a discount (looking at the Diamondback).

Thanks

2. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

If you can get AudioQuest at a discount. I'd say go with them. AudioQuest make a fine cable and only after living with them for some time will you determine what if any cables you may want to upgrade.

Take the discount and later sell them for what you paid for them.

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

The audio interconnects from Outlaw Audio are nice cables for the price.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Peter:
    Also check with Bettercables. I am sure that if you give Brad an email telling him that you want to buy 10 pair that he could work out some sort of deal with you.
    Parker

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Here's a link to an independent cable maker that I first discovered when looking for cables at Audiogon. Each of 150 reviewers had given him Audiogon's highest rating. And, here's the surprise. In this world of $1000 plus cables, the higher end of this man's two cables costs less than $50. He has a thirty day money back guarantee, I think. I've purchased two pairs of his audio interconnects and really liked them, so I ordered three speaker cables yesterday. He apologized that he couldn't custom make them until next Monday because of all the orders he's receiving and also due to the holidays. To me, that's pretty good to get customized cables sent out in less than a week. He also gave me excellent advise via email. I know I'm sounding too effusive here, but I'm really thinking that, from now on, I'm going to buy all my cables from him. Many of his customers switched from significantly higher priced cables to his due to improved sound quality. Just check out his site. Only you can tell if they're right for you.
    Link

8. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I would look at the midgrade MIT cables too. I have some and I think they are a great value.

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Ah, the beauty of on-line marketing hype!

Dana, re the speaker cables: You do realize that these are simply dressed up Canare 4S8 speaker cables don't you?
    You can can get the more expensive 11awg Canare speaker cables from Heartlandcables. They use Canare 4S11 speaker cables with Vampire connectors, cost less and I'd venture they don't take a week to ship.

Read the fine print on some of these web sites and you will find out what they really sell. Rather than being too impressed with customer feed back postings research what they are actually selling. E-bay and AudioGon are full of guys who sell Canare and Belden cables, most are up-front with what they sell and have tons of positive feedback.

If you like his audio cables you would be even more impressed by them if they had better connectors installed. Vampire,Cardas, Bullets etc. He may, but I'd hardly call Scosche(available from Parts Express)connectors Hi-end sleepers!

I'm sure if you contact any of the on-line cable makers and tell them you want 10 pairs they would all offer an attractive package price. I'd avoid Outlaw because they do not offer a refund policy.
    Besides Bettercables try some of these:
    CatCables
    RhinoCables
    Zucable
    WickedCables

10. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

Ummm ... I must be missing something here. Seems like you would need:

6 interconnect cables from the dvd player to the preamp
    5 interconnect cables from the preamp to the amp
    --
    11 cables total, or 5.5 pairs

You would also need 5 sets of speaker wires and a cable from the preamp to the sub, assuming the sub is powered.

Mike_P

11. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I had bought some interconnects from Signal cable in which DanaA is recommending. I thought they were great for the price..you can email Frank and upgrade the connectors if you like.

Mark Rich's comments would extend to most online cable companies including the ones he recommends. Maybe DanaA did do research first...don't assume that he didn't.

If you are on a budget, have you tried looking into the Radio Shack Gold interconnects or the Acoustic Research line? Good cables for the price.

12. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Christopher,

While the Canare speaker cables are decent that are not what anyone would call Audiophile. Its cable designed for commercial sound applications. Only slightly better than good 12AWG zip cord. If Dana had shopped around knowing he was buying Canare 4S8 (.46/ft retail)speaker cable at these prices I'm not so sure he would be so vocal in their praise. You can buy the better Canare 4S11 (11awg)from other custom cable makers for less. They at least inform you what cable you are buying.

I have a problem with Signal stating that his audio interconnects compare favorably against $1000 brands.
    Even Jon Rische who popularized the use of belden 89259 cable would not stretch things that far. Pure marketing hype! With the right connector its a fine ic to be compared against the under $100 crowd. There are far too many good cables on the market including ones with the same cable and better connectors. Like Jon Rische states this cable is sensitive to the connectors.