Looking for input on Sennheiser headphones

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sergey M, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Sergey M

Sergey M Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking about getting Sennheiser RS 120 headphones for nighttime TV listening. I would've gotten RS 130 or RS 140 if I could handle fully sealed headphones. Unfortunately, I can't as I get a headache from sealed headphones hence the RS 120 choice.

I'd appreciate if you share your experience if you happened to have one of the above mentioned Sennheiser headphones. If there are alternatives in under $160 prices I'd love to hear them too.

Thanks in advance.

2. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

i got the hd280 pros and i love them. good bass, clear sound and good imaging. i love the brand!

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I think you can find the hd580 for under $160. I have a pair and they are simply stunning.

4. Sergey M

Aren't those hd580 fully sealed? At least they look that way judging by the picture. RS 120's cones (is that the right term?) on the other hand look flat.

I also failed to mentioned that I'm specifically looking for wireless headphones as my couch is at least 14 feet away from the TV.

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The HD 580s are open. You can get longer cords, but they would be a problem if you need to move around your home.

6. Sergey M

According to Sennheiser's web site, HD580 have "Circumaural" ear coupling. Doesn't that make 'em fully sealed?

RS 120 on the other hand have "Supraural" ear coupling, which I guess is what qualifies them as open.

I could be off on this though. Any comments?

7. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

The RS120s are what I ended up with after looking for some time. As far as wireless headphones go, I can't complain. Range is excellent and sound quality is okay. It won't compare to your HT but it's perfectly fine for broadcast and cable.

The reviews say that the RS120s perform better than the next few models up so I decided to go with them. Price was excellent too (under $100 IIRC).

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

A set of headphones will say sealed if they're sealed. The HD580s fit around the outside of your ear, but the backs of the enclosures are open. Some headphones sit on top of the ear. I believe that's the difference between the two.

Unless you have an acoustically treated room, the 580s will sound better than you HT rig.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Mackie is correct. Sealed/Open and Circumaural/Supraural are two different things.

Circumaural means the headphone ear cups do not rest on the ear, they rest around the ear. Supra aural means the ear cups rest directly on the ear. I'd be very surprised if someone found supraural more comfortable in extended listening sessions than circumaural.

Sealed means the headphone traps the air between the cup and your ear. Open means it doesn't. The HD580 is an open design. Air flows freely through back of the ear cup.

10. Sergey M

Ari,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Dustin, Mackie,

Thanks for the explanation. I tried some headphones way back and got a bad headache after using them for a while. The only thing I recall about them is that they were circumaural. Based on some I suppose common knowledge, which headphones characteristic tends to give people headaches, sealed or circumaural?

Thanks.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I would think sealed would be a much more likely cause. All circumarual does for me is keep the weight of the headphones off my ears. I can't wear my supraural cans (Grado SR-60) for much more than an hour before my ears hurt. I can wear my HD600 all day at work.

Another big thing that can cause headaches with headphones in the blobs in your head effect. Stereo recordings are meant for speakers. Sound from the left channel reaches both your ears, just with a slight delay to the right ear. Opposite for the right channel. This is what allows for stereo imaging of sound. Headphones isolate each channel to each ear. Your brain tries to image it, but something just isn't right, which eventually results in a headache.

Check this link out for more info and how crossfeed circuits can mostly solve the problem (click through the sub elements of about crossfeed in the nav tree to get to all the info).

http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...oom-crossfeed/

12. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

The RS120's are nice, but people (customers) have told me that they become uncomfortable after hours of watching TV. The RS140's are much more comfortable.

13. Sergey M

Dustin,

Thanks for the url. Interesting read. Considering the problems headphones designers have to deal with and my budget, I'll try to get something locally. That's so that I can return it if I absolutely can't stand the new headphones.

As Tyson pointed out, RS 140 might be more comfortable but that seems to be a sealed model. I'll probably either step up to RS 130 instead (opened model) or stick with original RS 120 choice.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

14. Sergey M

Resurrecting an old post of mine. [​IMG]

Got Sennheiser RS-130 about a week ago. I wanted to like them but I'm afraid I'll be sending them back. I get a lot of static from them. There must be some interference in the room because audio cuts off if I walk to the kitchen, which is about 20+ feet away from the station.

I'm wondering if perhaps IR based wireless headphones would work better for me (as oppose to RF ones). Any suggestions on IR headphones? Thanks.