Looking for input on Monitor Audio Silvers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bob*S, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I thought I was all settled on a Paradigm setup with Studio 20s for mains. Then I listened to the MA Silver 2s. Even in a showroom with much less than optimal placement, these things just sang and sang. No matter the type of music, they sounded good and always engaged me. I repeatedly heard things that had, at best, only been insinuated by other speakers.

My one concern is that in a very brief listen of 5.1 for movies, the Silver Center LCR did not seem to keep up with the mains. The salesman said he normally recommends the Gold Center even with Silver fronts and rears. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I plan to spend some more time listening to both the MAs and the Paradigm in both stereo and HT mode as well as multichannel music. Any input on experience with these speakers is appreciated but in particular the MA Silver Center LCR.

Bob

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Bob,

Just come back from listening to the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 bookshelf speakers....man, these are awesome! If you do a search on my name, you will see that I have commented on the B2 before, so I am quite familiar with them.

I also compared the B2 to the Silver series S1 and S2 bookshelf speakers....the improvements in the sound quality provided are immediate and obvious. These are amazing little speakers. The build quality looks to be solid, but it's the sound quality that reels me in.

3. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Hi Danny-

We had chatted before about the MA Bronze series but the step up to the Silver line is quite remarkable. I resolved my issue with the center (it just needs a little boost) and am now deliberating between the S2s and S6s.

Next week I will be auditioning a full-theater setup of MA Silvers and Paradigm Reference with Studio 20s as fronts. I'm slowly getting this all pulled together.

Now I just need to see more progress on the house which seems to be a standstill.

Bob

4. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Spent half the day doing an audition of two 5.1 systems: Monitor Audio Silver 6s with Silver LCR and the Silver 1 bookshelfs pulling rear duty versus Paradigm Studio 20s with CC-470 and Paradigm Atoms in the rear. The Monitor Audios came out on top due to a more open midrange and less bright sound (noticed quite a bit of sibilance on Alanis Morrisette and an absence of any of the throaty voices of a number of female singers.

The dealer only offered me 10 percent off the MAs and suggested that he has less room to move on MAs. Does anyone know if dealer margins are tighter on MA speakers? I expected to see closer to 15% on the speakers and, in fact, will be calling around tomorrow I hate to take my business elsewhere since I've spent my time listening at this store but we're talking about over a $110 to be saved.

Any thoughts if 15% is expecting too much or any useful ideas for negotiating?

Bob

5. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Bob I use to live in lemoore and use to frequent Lee's home theater in Visalia. Is this where you are pricing your speakers? If so, they can be a bit stern on their prices. If you stress how much you appreciate their time and profesionalism while dealing with you, you may open the door for a slightly better obligatory discount. If you haven't been to Lee's in Visalia you may want to check them out as a back-up to the dealer you are already shopping at.

6. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

greggor-

Oops!! I moved to the Phoenix

7. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

Thats okay I moved to Japan. I think a 15% discount is quite minimal and should be easy to acquire. You may want to just ask them for 15% and if they can't comply informing them you will have to shop around a little more before making your purchase. With the amount of money your willing to spend they would be foolish not to work with you. Good Luck!

8. John_Cols

John_Cols Auditioning

Hi Bob. Since I am looking at checking out the Monitor Audio Speakers here in Phoenix and know that there are only a few dealers. Would you happen to be looking at Showcase Entertainment? If so, I know every few months they have a speaker sale where if you buy one the other is half. I was going to go with the Bronze series until they decided not to carry them anymore so I am still doing some shopping. If you haven't checked them out you may want to give them a call and see if there is a sale planned. They are pretty good about letting you know about specials. Hope that helps alittle.

9. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jon-

I'm, in fact, shopping at Showcase on Camelback. They have been really great to deal (with with one exception - but maybe the guy was just having a bad day).

Which store do you deal with? How do you find out about their sales? The sale you mentioned would save me a nice chunk. Is this for in-stock items only?

Bob

10. John_Cols

John_Cols Auditioning

That is the same one(16th street). The way I found out about it is I had some friends who bought some mirage speakers there and they told me about their experience and that deal. I went there a few times looking at speakers and the guy we were dealing with told me about the deal after a few visits. I wasn't ready to spend and went back a couple months later and spoke with a another person and he told me that they were going to run the special soon. I would say it has been about 8 months since I have been there since I am still trying to locate the Bronze series. My impression is that it is something that happens a few times a year like a customer appreciation thing. Not sure how long you have been looking there but I know after a few times of window shopping is when it was mentioned to me. But they are good people to deal with but they really don't budge on the price especially since they are sitting at the suggested retail price.

How do feel about online purchase?

11. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I much prefer to spend my money locally simply because it helps the local economy. Even for stores like Showcase where the money gets sent elsewhere, they at least add to the local economy through employment.

Did you deal with John Neal at all?

Bob

12. John_Cols

John_Cols Auditioning

No I dealt with Sam Sheard and then Alison. Not sure if Sam is there since the last few times I went in I didn't see him and that is how I talked to Alison.

13. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Ahhhh....Sam was my bad experience.

I'm going to check out pricing at Hacienda. I will be going to CA on business in a month so I will also check out pricing at Good Guys and DMC.

I'm not in a huge rush as they are still putting in the low-voltage in the walls of the new house.

Bob

14. John_Cols

John_Cols Auditioning

Sorry to hear that. Good luck and I hope you find that right deal.