What's new

Looking for info on custom media center pc... (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Not a HTPC per se, but something for a bathroom. Custom built, media playing small, nice looking PC for mostly playing music but also maybe outputting to a mounted flatscreen. Not necessarily videos, maybe something as simple as winamp visualizations.

Think along the lines of something you find in a day spa, if the day spa were in BladeRunner. ha!

I was thinking of Antec minuet, in the wall, with the abilty to load some music on it.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to look for stuff ?

For example, I know they make a device that allows you to control the media via remote control. Is there a good place to look for these type of HTPC devices ?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
hmmm...
hadn't really thought about it since I have access to many things computer related. I could probably scrounge up a cheap vid card, a hard drive, a power supply, speakers, etc. but for something that essentially is going to be playing MP3/WMA files and maybe displaying some graphics (but not full fledged video), it wouldn't need to be that expensive.

I guess I am looking for info on items that lend themselves toward unique or efficient design.

Sony makes a Home theater in a box (it's the $1999 one on the sony style website) that includes a dvd player. The notion of that DVD player's design is what I am attracted to...simple, elegant.

So I guess I am just looking for outlets (i.e. websites) that have ideas for these types of things. (another example is some of the LED lights made by Thermaltake and Antec to name a few...)

I spent some time looking at Microsoft Media Center software and that has some possibilities. It's way more than I am thinking of right now, but I like what I see.

Apparently you can't buy it off the shelf, it has to be part of a system ??

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I was asking is that I work for a company that is about to introduce a MicroATX HTPC solution which would perfectly suit your needs. To save money, I was thinking we could remove the TV tuner card and leave that out. Also, the the model comes pre-installed with MCE2005.

Here is a link to pictures of the chassis. They look pretty sharp.

DMS 401

If you need any tech specs just let me know or PM me.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I agree, those are very nice looking. Has a price point been established for this one you are referring to ?

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
If we take out the TV tuner card. I am assuming you won't need to be watching TV. Price would be $1159 plus $25 shipping.

The HTPC uses an AMD 64 3000+ for the processor and a Geoforce 6200 GPU for video(you can upgrade if you like). Is HDTV ready, although you may not need that,but is nice to have nonetheless. The OS is insatlled and it is ready to go out of the box.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Alex-C,

You might want to consider one of the Shuttle SFF style cabinet (case) and motherboard combos. They can be had for between $200-300. All you need to do is add a processor, memory, a video card, a hard drive, Win XP and maybe a front end like Meedio. It can be a very inexpensive solution if you shop around and do not need cutting edge hardware. Hope this helps.
Regards,
TCIII

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably look at one of the new Apple Mac Mini computers. They Should do everything you want.

$600 + maybe another 256 meg of ram and you should be fine.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks