What's new

Looking for info on car video setups. (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to add an overhead LCD monitor in my 4Runner. I'm thinking of using a play station instead of a stand alone dvd player since my daughter is beginning to get into video games.
I've been looking at some systems over at cardomain.com but I thought I might better help and directions here .

Thank.

Michael

Mark gas

Second Unit
Whats the buget and do you want something in dash or do you just want to mount a screen somewhere?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Ok I work at soundtrack in colorado springs. So I can help you out. What year 4runner first of all? Do you have a sunroof? Do you have a preference on screen size? Is your daughter the only one that rides in the car on long trips?

Now usually in a 4runner a 6.5" 7" screen is more than enough. The screens I would recommend would be an alpine or a pioneer. Reason why is... they have great picture quality and they also swivel... so if your daughter is sitting off to the side she can see it better. A PS2 would work fine for the dvd source. But I havnt heard wether or not the are good at not skipping.

Well good luck. Dont hesitate to email me.

Niraj Patel

Agent
Pryamid, Pyle, Legacy, and a slew of other brands are no no's. They are serious current hogs and will greatly hamper your alternator, they are poorly built, and they will probably break within the first year or so.

Clarion makes some GREAT displays if you ask me. Pioneer is my personal favorite for any head unit, player kinda part, Alpine is a close second. Kenwood eXcelon series is also another good choice.

Just a sample one...

http://www.clarion.com/multimedia/multi08.htm

You could get that online for a ton cheaper. And $180 for a ps2 is quite reasonable. Gamecubes go for $150 + a free game at walmart.com just to give you an idea.

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Playstations are horrible for DVD and are plagued with errors and problems. I would highly advise not getting a playstation for DVD playback. Good for games.... bad for DVD.

Pryamid, Pyle, Legacy, and a slew of other brands are no no's.
Niraj:

Can you expand on the "slew of other brands"? I was this close to buying those same pyramids, for 105 a piece, for my 2000 Passport. But now I will wait until I have more $$

So should we only stick to the major manufacturers for headrest monitors?

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
I recently installed an entire dvd/lcd setup in my Honda Odyssey for a long cross-country trip. There is a *ton* of information over at odyclub in the video/security/navigations forum. There are literally 50 or so folks that have installed their own video systems.

The percieved main brands like Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer etc., are quite good, but you pay a huge premium in the price. Prices are starting to drop, but they are still way overpriced in my opinion, since had a strict budget.

I would also avoid Pyle, Pyramid, etc. Power Acoustik and Farenheit are OK middle level brands that are very cheap.

The current brand of choice over on Odyclub is Icon. They are a major player now, in car video, and their products are really top quality. I have the 9" dropdown widescreen monitor in my Odyssey, and it is phenominal. I went to calibrate it with my Avia Home Theater DVD, and it was dead on right out of the box. Much better display than my Sony Wega tv I use for home theater! It also has integrated IR transmitters for wireless headphones. Price is around $569 from audiooutfitters.com.

Icon also makes nice 7" monitors, and a killer 15.2" widescreen that is totally outrageous. Check out their products at ICON TV

I also use the ICON dvd100 player that is quite small and has vacuum load so it can be mounted at any angle. Make sure the dvd you get has a last position memory feature so that your dvd starts up from the last stopped position after you turn it off. The Icon will do this if you press stop or turn the dvd power off before shutting off the car.

See my install/review thread for more details:

odyclub link

Hope this helps-

Wes

Is legacy considered poor quality, in the category with pyle and pyramid? I'm not trying to spend more than 200 per monitor, but I would like the largest screen size I can get with good screen quality. (HT has spoiled me rotten).

Also, I can't get to audiooutfitters, can you post a link?

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the link to the ICON 9" monitor at Audio Outfitter. You need to call for the price, tell them you're from here, and also if you mention the odyclub.com they might give you a discount, I'm not sure. The prices on ICON are rock bottom, though. I can't emphasize enough the quality of these screens across their whole product line. . .

audiooutfitter

Wes

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Sony has a new product that has an overhead 7" screen, DVD player and 2 wireless headphones for $999. I saw this yesterday at Ultimate Electronics in Las Vegas.

It's called the MV-7101DS Dream System. They have it at http://www.crutchfield.com

Greg S

Supporting Actor
What's everyones best suggestion for a low cost display with its own speakers built in.

Before anyone asks I need this type of display because quite often my wife and I will listen to the radio (XM BTW) on the front speakers while my daughter watches a movie in the back so I cannot go through the system in the car.

Thanks for the input.

Greg

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
How old is your daughter? A better solution would be the IR systems built into a product like the ICON 9". It has an integrated wireless IR transmitter along the bottom of the screen, and your child would wear the wireless headphones. The sound is very good, and that is how I pull off a 2 zone system in my Honda Odyssey. This would function totally independently of your head unit, and would play any source in the dvd drive, so she could listen to music as well as watch a dvd. The screen just has to be down.

I've found the headphones are a lot lower maintenance with my older (5 and 8) children than my almost 3 year old, so that may be a factor. I don't think you'll have success with a built in speaker, becasue for it to be loud enough for her to hear the movie, it will certainly interfere with what you're listening to up front and vice versa. . .

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks