Looking for inexpensive STEREO receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Can anyone out there recommend a great stereo (or even pro-logic) receiver that i could use for an office bookshelf system (music only)? i just bought a pair of Axiom bookshelf speakers and I'm hoping to find a bargain on ebay or somewhere. However since I've never really researched stereo receivers before, I don't know what's a steal and what's a waste. I know Harman Kardon makes some great units (i own an AVR310 in my main listening room). Other makes and models to shop for? Thanks!!

greg

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Bargain mean how much ? $50, $150, $250 ??

_zjt

3. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    i'm sorry - i guess i should have included that tidbit. [​IMG] I'd say under $150. Preferably under $100. Nothing "vintage" or classic necessarily. But maybe just a 1-3 year old unit that was a great deal in its day. Thanks!

4. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I recently picked up a slightly damaged Yamaha stereo receiver off of ebay for $90. It had a dent on the front of it from shipping. It was never used. The same unit at Good Guys was $399. It sounds great. I use it to run my inwall speakers in the master bedroom and bathroom. So check ebay. It took a few weeks before I decided which one to go after.

Good Luck,

Jeff Aguilar

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It just might be worth making a visit to a local pawn shop too, there's no telling what you'll find in there......

6. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks for the responses. i'm aware of what's out there in the way of ebay, etc but I'm more looking for some specific make and model recommendations. Does anyone out there have music-only systems with receivers that may have cost $300 or $400 a few years ago but are now selling for much less on ebay? Those are the kinds of things I'm looking for. Any other suggestions? thanks!

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Greg, 3-4 years old Pioneers should fit your bill; I am using a 604S for my daughter compuer/keyboard gig. Pioneer amp stage is nice, sweet and warm (MOSFET sound :).

If you want to shop around, and can put your hands on 2-3 years old Denon-3300, that will run you up to $300 (you might get lucky). This one will give you all DD, DTS formats.

Also look at older used integrated amps - NAD, Bryston, Sherbourne - you might get somethign like 2 x60, 2 x 80 (certainly below 2 x 100) - and have clean setup.

Audioreview.com has for example a NAD 340 integrated for $275.

Certainly, older Harman-Kardon, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer would certainly work.

Look around locally for moving/liquidation sales - that is where you can pick a lot of stuff...

_zjt

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

www.harmanaudio.com has a refurbished AVR-100 50 watts X 2 or 40 watts X 5 for $ 177.00 that might fit the bill. Regular price is listed at $ 399.00

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Circuit City and Best Buy usally has units for around 100 bucks or less.

10. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks everyone for the help. i guess i'l just surf ebay and local sales until i find the right unit. or it will find me. [​IMG]

11. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Here's the Harman Kardon ebay store. You should email them and see if you can get a 3370 or 3270 stereo receiver. The bigger 3470 has no reserve at only $1 (but may go over $200, doesn't hurt to bid up to $150 though!).
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...sort=2&rows=25

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a Harmon/Kardon HK3270 in my office/studio and highly recommend this fine unit. It's really a very impressive piece.

13. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks again! i will indeed check out the 32/33/3470 models from HK.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

About 6 months ago, I got a Technics (something) 140 for my wife. 100W per channel. For $99 on sale. To be honest, I'm quite surprised and pleased with its performance, considering what we paid for it.
    I specifically wanted a stereo receiver for her, because I didn't want her accidentally trying to use DPL or DD/DTS modes with only a 2 speaker set up! [​IMG]

15. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

16. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm going to make a suggestion out of left field here.

Get a used preamp such as the Hafler DH-101 or the Dynaco PAT-5 and a power amp to match. A Hafler DH 200 is a good amp with an honest 100wpc, or you could get a Dynaco Stero 70 (tube) amp. Another option is the Dynaco Stereo 120 which is a pretty nice amp, it's biggest drawback is a very tightly regulated power supply which limits the dynamic power available.

The price for the Hafler DH-101 and DH-200 runs about 300 on ebay and it is a very nice sounding combo. I lived with a DH-101/Dynaco Stereo 410 (designed by Hafler) combo for years and loved it. A very open sound, clean, it could drive the nastiest loads with ease. The DH-200 has very similar qualities to the 410, and was very well regarded in its' day.

17. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Greg: I bought a Pioneer SX - 205 stereo reciever from Circuit City a few years ago for $100 that I use primarily for a 2 channel music/video system. While the build quality is not great, I've been very pleased with this unit's performance. In fact, when I temporarily inserted it into my main stereo system in place of MUCH more expensive electronics, I could not detect any difference in the overall sound of the system.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Though I'm happy with my H/K, I have to say that Bob Marker gives good advice. I've always been impressed with Pioneer's gear, particularly the low end stuff which really performs fantastic for the money.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My suggestion is to find a used NAD stereo integrated amp. NAD makes excellent integrateds for the money. The current C 350 is available for around $325 from Sound City and is a bargain. I suspect you could do well in looking for an older model used.

20. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks everyone for the continued input. i'm still deciding but you've given me some great ideas. i'll keep my eyes open for a bargain pioneer. I know the Sony has the much-praised "DB" line (i used to own an str-db930) which is far superior to their "DE" line - does Pioneer have a similar model number to look for (or avoid) ? thanks!