What's new

looking for ideas for MICRO-budget satellite speakers...any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hello all again...here is the scoop-I need suggestions for a VERY low budget satellite speaker setup...the purpose? an ultra low cost computer-speaker 5.1 setup to play Doom 3 :) ...just that simple...I have my old Pioneer VSX D511 (sp?) that I intend to hook to my PC-at this point I am only interested in the sats, not the sub, so:
1. all parts needed (minus "cabinet") must add up to under 15$ per speaker (negotiable, but not very :) )
2. must be shielded
3.should be fairly small
4. 8ohm because of the budget receiver

is it possible? sound quality is NOT paramount here (but certainly would be a +), so I am thinking of perhaps 1 full range driver from PE per speaker + binding posts in the back
thanks in advance for the help-also very specific setup suggestions are PARTICULARLY welcome, as I have no experience w/ speaker modeling programs!

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
wow, those look nice, but adding in binding posts/shipping etc. & such would probably
put me at over 20$, a bit more than i'm prepared to spend (maybe)-the problem is that reasonably good 5.1 computer speaker sets can be had for not a whole lot more than what im gonna end up spending w/ that driver, & i wouldn't even have to use my receiver w/ those :frowning:...this may be a tough project to justify, especially when i have to add in a sub :frowning:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but if you're unwilling to spend a whopping $20 per speaker to build something finished the way you'd like with a quality built cabinet then I have to say you're in the wrong hobby. I wouldn't even dream of buying one of those 5.1 computer setups. Cheap injection molded cabinets? YUK!

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I definitely know that 20$ is ridiculously low for speakers, but this project has a very specific intent & a very specific budget-I kind of realize it may not be possible at all, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there, as one of you all may have done something similar before....know what I mean? believe me, i would like nothing more than to build a 5.1 KIT281 setup w/ a nice big Adire Tempest or Tumult sub & relegate my Fluance's to the computer room, but if I had the scratch to do that, I most certainly would have done it already, hehe ;)
& for the record, the Logitech 5.1 computer speaker setup is actually supposed to be pretty nice (probably not by audiophile standards, but by computer-speaker standards they are probably freakin' Martin Logans (or insert your favorite speaker here)), but I did find out they were considerably more expensive than I had realized :frowning:

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hey Greg-GREAT heads up there! I will DEFINITELY check into those! they look like exactly what I'm looking for...I will probably post some more questions later today about this specific speaker...I am an utter novice at speaker building-I've read a lot about it, but know VERY little about speaker "theory"-in other words, I am clueless about the "electrical" side of speaker building(crossovers in particular are essentially magic to me...no clue about how or why they work :) )...hopefully everyone here will be patient with me :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I keep forgetting about those PE buyout drivers. I'd use those if you don't use some Tang Bands. Otherwise, you'd be buying someone else's Tang Band based speaker if you get the Logitechs.:)

SethDean

Auditioning
The cheapest and easiest way to get some decent sound is to go on ebay and look for the surround speakers from a Logitech z560 system. They usually go for around $40 for 4 of them. here is the link (do a copy paste I can't post urls yet) h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44985&item=5119180579&rd=1

Later
seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks