Looking for HT fun in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brantley, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are planning a leisurely long weekend trip to Atlanta next week. Are there any interesting venues an HT enthusiast should check out in that city -- you know, nice HT stores, places to buy DVDs (especially cheap used ones!), etc.?

A decade ago, when I lived in Anniston, Ala., I used to get to Atlanta quite frequently. Back then, I always visited Laserdisc Enterprises on the Cobb Parkway, where I bought a good portion of my LD collection. I'm sure that place is gone now, but I don't know.

Thanks, Atlantans, for the info.

2. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

actually I think the place you mentioned is still there, just a different name.

There is a store called "Atlanta Home Theater" on Cobb Parkway just north of 285. It used to just have a ton of DVDs, but they have changed their focus and they are now a very upscale home theater store. Pretty much they have like 6 or 7 full theaters set up in the store to take a look at... and they are all VERY nice. I would definately recomend stopping by to take a look... it is worth it just to sit in their sweet leather chairs for a few minutes. It is in the Best Buy shopping center 1 mile north of 285.

There is another place on Holcombe Bridge, just West of GA-400. I think it is called Georgia Home Theater. Pretty much the same thing, several complete home theaters. (and the owner drives a sweet Viper... where can I apply for that job?).

3. Mike Brantley

Thanks, Jeff. Sounds like that's exactly the same place I remember, just north of 285. I'll try to pursuade Cheryl to let us hit both of the stores you mentioned and poke around a bit. She's safe, because I won't buy anything. The next thing on the want list is an SVS subwoofer, and these stores don't have those. [​IMG]
    Anybody know of anyplace in Atlanta to shop for DVDs or even used LDs? Thanks!

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

You have to make an appointment to view the home theater showrooms at Georgia Home Theater.
    It didn't used to be this way but I guess they only want to assist people who are going to use their services.
    Hifi Buys right behind GHT has one home theater room.
    Not as nice as the one at GHT but it will do.
    Also, I used to buy used laserdiscs from Laserdisc Enterprises.
    I also used to buy used DVDs from Blockbuster but I stopped.
    I wish I could think of more places.
    There used to be a place off of GA 400 near North Point Mall but they went out of business.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

There is also a HiFi Buys in Buckhead right off Peachtree (be careful, everything in atlanta is peechtree) near the ESPN Zone and The Cheesecake Factory. Take your wife to the Cheesecake factory, get a really great bottle of wine (or 2), head to HiFi Buys, and you can have about anything you'd want [​IMG].
    One word, some of the salespeople at HiFi Buys in Buckhead aren't the most receptive if you don't appear to be of the upper class clientele that i'm sure they're used to seeing in an upscale part of town like buckhead. They're pretty rude to inquisitive college students like myself. They get even ruder when you show them that you know what you're talking about, and just happen to know more about most of the products than they do. Not all of them are like this, but most of the older employees there are. I guess since they get paid on commission, they don't want to waste their time with people they don't think are going to buy something. When i get my $$ together, i'm gonna walk in w/ $1100 cash, show it to the guy who is always rude to me, tell him i want to A/B the 43TX and the 3802, go through a long AB session, tell him to bring the box out, and right when he thinks i'm gonna hand over my cash, tell him i'm going to take my business elsewhere because he has been so rude to me for the past few months.
    Wow, this post turned into me venting. Hope this doesn't bother anyone. Also hope my input helps somewhat.

6. Mike Brantley

Thanks, folks. Turns out my wife and I changed out minds about what direction we're headed. We're going to New Orleans now instead of Atlanta. But we are sure to get to Atlanta soon, so the info is appreciated.
    I don't think I will bother making an appointment for GHT when we do go. Sounds like we would be wasting their time if we did, and I don't need that pressure! [​IMG]
    Thanks again.

7. MattG

MattG Auditioning

In response to the Hi-Fi buys comment I agree that it is a very cool store. A great friend of mine I used to work with now works at that very store. If anybody ever needs anything go in and ask for Juan Roach (interesting name I know but he is one of the best). Tell him Matt sent you.