Looking for high-quality, mid-priced, LONG component video cables.. What about these?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I'm looking to purchase a 25-foot run of component video cables. I expect them to last a long time and support HDTV and progressive signals. I'd also like to stay under $100 and a DIY is not an option. [​IMG]
    In searching through the forum, I came across this retailer and am thinking about buying these cables for $87.95.
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think? Is this the way to go? Thanks everyone!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

First, Markertek is not a retailor, they sell mainly to the broadcast industry.
    I'm not familar with "Tek Nec" coax, but they look like a budget brand of coax.
    And these cables have BNC connectors. Have you contacted them about using Canare RCA plugs instead?
    Since Markertek also sells Canare and Belden, see if they will build you a set of cables using Canare RCA plugs and Canare 5CFB coax.
    Or you can try:
    www.bluejeancables.com ($67.95)
    www.wickedcables.com ($109)
    www.bettercables.com
    www.catcables.com
    eBay (search for "Canare")
    I dont know if you can get a set of Canare cables for your below $100, but it's worth looking. If not Canare coax, Belden is also an outstanding brand.

3. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I'd pass on the Wickedcables component cables. They are RG59 (both Belden or Canare) the other cable makers all sell RG6 which is the current industry standard.I'd go with either Bluejeans or Rhino. Both sell Belden 1694a cables with Canare connectors. They have higher specs than Canare cables and for some silly reason sell for less. Canare does not have a cable that competes with the belden 1694a/1694a at this time. they are supposedly still working on it.
    A cable that will meet the same perfromance standards is Gepco and they are available from avcable.com

Rhinocables.com $64.96 (7m) $69.95(8m)

If you want canare cables then Heartlandcables.com sells them

4. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

What spec difference?
    0.100 difference in capacitance?
    They are both rated at 3Ghz bandwidth. HDTV is
    at most compressed to 30Mhz! The Canare plugs are rated 200Mhz which makes the cable size a moot point!!
    1694A weighs more, and will damage your the
    RCA jacks on your DVD faster than 1505A.
    Visually there is no difference.
    Try getting hold of someone at Blue Jeans, they stopped selling on eBay, and their web site will be down when
    their 1000' rolls are empty!!!
    Markertek ADDS $10.00 as an order fee on top of shipping and handling.
    RG6 is the industry standard on NON-compressed serial digital editing, with runs over 100ft.
    Machine room to edit bay runs use 1505A granted they also use BNC to reach the 2Ghz bandwidth.

5. Daniel Swartz

Mark and Bob: Thanks very much for the detailed responses!

Pat: Could you elaborate more on the RCA damage caused by 1694a cables please? Thanks!

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

There is no reason to expect any damage from long term use of RG6 cable (Belden 1694a). Canare RCA connectors use a spring type of contact which is gentle of RCA female jacks. I have used Belden 1694a for years now without damage to the component input jacks. The advantage to using Belden 1694a is its a single cable which is gentler on connectors than using a factory bundled cable.

Random Specs:
    1505- 1694
    AWG RG59/AWG 20 - RG6/AWG 18
    Nom DCR 10.0/m - 6.4/m
    Nom Capacitance 16.3 pf/ft - 16.2 pf/ft
    Nom att 1mhz .95 db/100m - .79 db/100m
    360mhz 14.4 db/100m - 12.0 db/100m

SMPTE standards:
    259m (360mb/s) component widescreen
    960 ft - 1180 ft
    292m (1.5 gb/s) HDTV
    300 ft - 370 ft

Maybe its just me but I'd go for the top of the line (more versatile), higher spec, cheaper selling Belden 1694a cable any day of the week!Why pay over a $100 for 1505a when you can get 1694a for less than $70?

I cant argue with your claims that BlueJeans is going out of business. You seem to know a lot about them so I'll take your word for it. If interested in buying cut cable you could always get some from Electrosonic, Anixter or try Pacific Radio. A 500 foot roll of 1694 is cheap!

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

8. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

SMPTE standards:
    259m (360mb/s) component widescreen
    960 ft - 1180 ft
    292m (1.5 gb/s) HDTV
    300 ft - 370 ft

The above referenc is for NON-compressed video editing and recording to and from a D5 recorder.

Hence the SMPTE standard.

This does not apply to NTSC (DVD and HDTV )

ITU-R 601
    Luminance is sampled at 13.5MHz,
    R-Y is sampled at 6.75MHz.
    B-Y is sampled at 6.75MHz.
    --------------------------
    Total is 27Mhz
    This is the RGB spec, component is slightly lower.

HDTV NHK Standard (This is the high bandwidth Japanese spec not the US, which is lower)
    30Mhz

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Nice bit o' digging there Marvin [​IMG] if'n there was a smiley tipping its hat i'd stick one in!
    Personally I don't understand why for HT use there'd be a differnce using -59 vs -6 so long as the cable met specs...along those lines...
    So Patrick, based on your experience as da wicked cable person, what would be the cutoff point so to speak in cable specs where one could not tell a difference using something like HDTV? Maybe you could hypothesize using 10 and 50 feet lengths. Also in your estimation are solid or stranded centers better and why?

10. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Sorry but having tried Belden 1505a it is bettered by Belden 1694a in my average home theater. I have also tried various Canare and Belden cables (1505,1506 and currently use 1695a). I think the SMPTE specs speak for themselves as do the electrical specs. To me the specs indicate that Belden 1694a is better as does Belden in their brochures. Now I dont know about you but I'd rather spend less on a better performing cable? Heck even if its in my mind I've at least saved some money.Over kill? Probably but I can buy Belden 1694a cables for less than 1505a so...
    Nothing personal. I like your cables and your website, its refreshing to see so little hype.

Can you shed any light on your statement regarding BlueJeans going out of business?

11. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

According to the link you posted the cable which make up the component are Canare 3C-2V. It is hard to go wrong with Canare. I'd prefer using the Canare V3-5CFB due to it being RG-6.

Several people on the board are planning on making custom cables. You should see if they'd make you a set. You could have this made for $1.19/foot (from Have Inc) plus about $2.99/connector. You'd be looking at about $50 in material...

I just made a 25' V3-5CFB component video cable and I was amazed at how much better the picture was over a store bought 6' one. Worth every penny.

Neil

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Just thought I'd stick this little thing in regarding bluejeans cable which is in response to something that was forwarded to me...

Subject: There's a rumor

that bluejeans cable will shortly be closing its operations. Is this fact or simply an unfounded rumor.
    Thanks in advance for replying.

Well, we haven't heard that rumor...no, we're not closing, and in fact, we're working on expanding our product offerings and will be adding new items to our online store within the next couple of weeks...we're here for the long haul.

Thanks,

Kurt
    BJC

Now in general, while I have a certain degree of skepticism bordering on contempt for those companies that use science and twist it all out of proportion, I do believe in healthy competition. Somehow I still believe that competition is good for the consumer. I also like to chase things down to see where they lead. This response that I've posted should put some degree of closure I trust.

Now about those questions I asked earlier regarding minimum specifications, any thoughts or is this another YMMV?

13. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

First my open apologies to BlueJeansCable, they came back with a vengeance!!!! Ive been doing cables on the web for almost three years, and have seen guys go when their reels ran out!!!!

Chu Gai

I cant see using 1694, when 1505 has less weight and is capable of tighter bends. Both 1505Aand 1694A are rated at 3Ghz.
    Your bottle neck here is the RCA connector, the best 75ohm out is the Canare, but is only rated at 200Mhz.
    I draw the line at 100ft with 1505A especially with RCAs.
    The facilities engineers here also draw the line at 100ft, but that is with full bandwidth un-compressed HDTV editing,
    using 2Ghz BNC, Specs are specs, its what you see and hear that matters, isnt it? I could not see the diference in video quality on an SGI Inferno and Fire, using both 1505 and 1694. 720P/60 (That is the ultimate test)

Solid vs stranded:
    Solid for 75ohm cabling and stranded for analog audio.
    Solid wire maintains a more constant internal impedance than stranded.Solid also minimizes the proximity effect due to the presence of magnetic fields generated by neighboring conductors which affect high frequencies. If stranded wire had a constant air gap between conductors and its diameter stayed constant during bending then I would consider it for 75ohm.
    Now about my prices!!!! I once knew a mechanic who charged me $10.00 to adjust the idle on my car (in the 70s that was a lot of money!!) when I bitched about the price, his reply was, "I didnt charge you $10.00 to turn the screw, I charged you $10.00 because I knew which screw to turn"
    Im an old studio wiring terminator, I know "which screw to turn" ;-)

Im not one of these people who bought a crimp frame/die and some cables to make a buck on the web, Im truly here to show people that you shouldnt pay inflated MONSTER prices.

All you guys have different opinions, but the common factor
    here, is you all want decent equipment without being ripped off.

So before Bob Mc starts wondering if this is going to become a flame war, Im going to slowly back off!!!

BTW Chu, what is YMMV?

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Thanks for the answer...YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary my interpretation of which is 'who the hell knows if it'll work for you'. Thanks for the answers, truly [​IMG] but to pursue it a bit further I'm curious. Since either of the cables appear to good choices in general they also appear to vastly exceed the requirements of present day equipment. Not that a person can't buy better than what they need but follow along with me. If the 'best' rca one can buy is the canare (and that's not even 75 ohms...just the advertising copy) and the canare only meets its specs when its never been used because once it has the connector becomes slightly deformed, then the practical bandwidth is somewhat less that 200 mHz. Therefore why woundn't a cable that's relatively inexpensive, perhaps one such as AR middle of the roads perform equally for the enduser? Any pictures illustrating any differences? Just digging you understand [​IMG]

15. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

16. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Guess because you work in a production facility (not sure what your day job has to do with anything) you can charge more than others? Interesting theory....

Sorry but I'll stick with buying a cable(IMO,better)for less and will trust that the business I'm dealing with will still be here a year from now. That and they will be reachable by phone during regular business hours while you are at your day job.

You are making cables out of the goodness of your heart with no regard to profit while others are just ripping consumers off?? You also bought a crimper/die set and are now selling cables on the net!

This is not a flame but a debate that I will admit got off topic. I too will back off and move on. Have a great weekend.

17. Daniel Swartz

Thanks for everyone's input (and interesting commentary [​IMG]) What about suggestions for a similarly long run with a progressive cable? E.g., a 25-foot run from a progressive DVD player to my projector (HD-15/VGA input)? Thanks again!

18. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

All of the above cable suggestions will handle component, progressive and HD video signals.
    That's one of the points: a cable set that can handle all of these is fairly easy to come by, you just have to know where to shop. [​IMG]

19. Daniel Swartz

Aha! Gotcha. Would you recommend that I get the correct connectors on each end for my current setup or a more generic setup, like RCA connectors on both ends, with an adapter on one end for the projector? Would I be losing any kind of quality with an adapter on one end (BNC or HD15)? And finally, could you guys point me in the right direction to buy an RCA (progressive) -> HD15 adapter please? Thanks again!

20. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator