What's new

Looking for help from the War film buffs (1 Viewer)

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Long story short, I'm writing a paper on war films. My goal is to choose one from each of the following periods: post-WWII, post-Vietnam, and late-90's/September 11th to the current day. The point of the paper will be to analyze the film from each "era" and see how it reflects the popular and political sentiment of war during that time period (pro-war, anti-war, etc.)

What I'm looking for are the the movies that you think best represent those three times in our country. Thanks in advance!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
How about:

The Best Years of Our Lives or 12 O'Clock High (WWII)

84 Charlie Mopic (Vietnam)

The Messenger (post 9/11)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Best Years of Our Lives

Coming Home, The Deer Hunter

The Hurt Locker

While not a film, I would also recommend the HBO mini-series Generation Kill.

- Walter.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
WW II (Pacific):" A Thin Red Line" the very difficult battle the Marines had in defeating the Japanese at Guadalcanal.

WW II (Europe): "Das Boot" a German film showing life on a submarine sailing the North Atlantic with intent to sink allied ships bringing cargo to Great Britain.

Vietnam: "We Were Soldiers" the first major battle American soldiers against Vietnamese regulars.

1980's: "9 th Company" Russian soldiers fighting in Afghanistan.

Gulf War: "Three Kings" American soldiers looking for treasure stolen from Kuwait.

Iraq War: "Green Zone" Special unit of American soldiers looking for weapons of mass destruction.

Afghanistan: "Restrepo" Documentary shot by American soldiers stationed at a post in the mountains of Afghanistan.

scribe1964

Grip
Real Name
Ric
If you're looking for actual war films that were made not long after the wars were over, I would pick the following:

(WWII) Attack!

(Vietnam) The Boys in Company C, The Deer Hunter.

(late 90s, post 9-11) Three Kings

Charles H

Screenwriter
WWII: Phil Karlson's HELL TO ETERNITY or AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY

VietNam: WE WERE SOLDIERS

Gulf War: THREE KINGS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks