What's new

looking for HDTV receiver (1 Viewer)

Ronald John

Auditioning
I am looking for information on HDTV receivers for DTV.
I am interested in opinions on these receivers. Planning on purchasing, and want to know who is using what and quality of video and features.etc

Most apprecciated.

Ronald John

Jeff Martin

Auditioning
Hey Ronald

I use a Dish811 from Dish Network. I like it a lot. It has the standard composite and S-Video outputs, and also component and a DVI-D output. It also has 2 rear AV inputs that are selectable from the program guide. Capable or 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Untill last night I used a Toshiba 40H80 by it'its component video input and even at the its EDTV resolution it looked pretty good. HBOHD didn't impress me, but ESPNHD and DSCHD looked great. Last night I put in a Hitachi 65SWX20B in place of the 40H80 and it looks incredible. (It really needs to be calibrated and fine tuned, but I just wanted to get it set up for the weekend for now but still looks great) The 65SWX20B is hooked up by DVI and is able to handle 1080i. Normally, on the 40H80 if I selected anything but 480p the display would go nuts, but the 65SWX20B I can select 480p, 720p, and 1080i...is this normal for anyone that might know? I'm pretty sure this tv doesn't support 720p, so it puzzles me. At any rate, both tv's did look good by component and DVI connectivity, however I am very pleased with the Hitachi TV's performance so far out of the box and can't wait to fine tune it. I'm also very please with Dish Networks service.

If you're currently not a Dish Network customer, you can actually get one of these for free. There's free standard installation and equipment with a commitment of 1 year of atleast America's Top 60 programming, and if you get the 811, you must commit to 1 year of the HD Pak ($9.99) which includes HDNET, HDNMV, DCSHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, HBOHD, SHOHD (if you subscribe to HBO or Showtime) and one HDPPV channel. If you are a Dish Network customer, you can upgrade for $149.99.

Ronald John

Auditioning
Thanks for the info Jeff.
I am also wanting to attach it to a 51" Hitachi.

I am currently a Direct tv subscriber, so I was curious about their receivers if any one is using them.

Take care and thanks again Jeff.

Ronald John

Ronald John

Auditioning
Thanks for the info Jeff.
I am also wanting to attach it to a 51" Hitachi.

I am currently a Direct tv subscriber, so I was curious about their receivers if any one is using them.

Take care and thanks again Jeff.

Ronald John:D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you meet certain criteria (customer for around 2 years, certain programming package and no late payments) you can call customer retention and get a D* HD receiver for $99. You either get the current Hughes or Samsung.

I use the older Hughes model. Runs hot but does a decent job with HD.

-Robert

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
DirecTV is currently in the process of standardizing their recievers under the DirecTV brand name. They'll still be made by different mfgs but will all look the same, have the same features and user interface, and be sold under the DirecTV name.

The $99 deal will now almost assuredly get you a Hughes HTL-HD box, the successor to the old Hughes box that ran hot and was not very good at local ota digital tuning.

The HTL-HD is built by LG electronics, has about the best ota reception in the business, and is generally very reliable and performs well. I've had an LG mfg'ed Sony HD-200 for almost a year and am quite happy with it.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
hey guys, where did you find this information? i am a current directv customer and i just called them today for info on upgrading to HDTV, they wanted $350 to come out and install a new dish and receiver. i told her the dish i already have is hdtv compatable, but as usual she didnt seem to know what the hell i was talking about. they didn't say anything to me about a $99 option.

Johnny

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have to get transferred to customer retention by threatening to drop your DirecTV service or call them directly at 1-800-600-8977.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks