What's new

Looking for HDTV for gaming around $1300 or under range (1 Viewer)

Jason Stix B

Auditioning
Hello all.

I currently have a 36" non-HDTV Sony Wega, KV-36FS13. I am looking at going to HDTV due to having a Xbox 360 video game console. I currently will not be paying for HDTV though through my cable company (only want the HD for my gaming experience).

I am looking at two TVs ...

30-INCH WIDE-SCREEN HIGH-DEFINITION MODEL
Sony FD Trinitron Wega Hi-Scan KV-30HS420
$850-ish retail

34-INCH WIDE-SCREEN HIGH-DEFINITION MODEL
Sony FD Trinitron Wega Hi-Scan KV-34HS420
$1250-ish retail

Both of these are rated top in their categories through Consumer Reports, and I have heard they are great.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Are the CRTs still the best for around this price range? There is so much information out there saying this is better and that is better. I hate the weight of the CRTs, but the picture quality is more important than the weight. With LCDs, DLP, plasma, etc ... it is hard for the common person to understand what is what.

Remember, I am using this mainly for gaming with HD.

2) I am still new to HD, so I do not understand what is what. I understand 1080 is the best and 720 is next. What are these two TVs? I couldn't find anything saying which they display, so does that mean they can display whatever is thrown into them?

3) Does standard TV look ok on a HDTV? I have heard some HDTVs display poorer quality regular TV signals than regular TVs. Is this true?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hi, I have a thread about this as well. :)

Seriously, those were my old choices, but the reason I'm not getting those T.V.'s is for one reason: they're heavy as hell. :frowning:

Jason Stix B

Auditioning
Ya, the weight is a problem, but once the TV is set in it's place, I do not plan to move it.

Here is my current set-up:

(EDIT: it will not let me post a URL to a photo of my set-up)

I use a metal rack system (got at Lowe's) for my entertainment stand. Being it is adjustable per inch, it gives me a ton of flexability on how I have it set up. It also gives me a stand that can handle the weight as the TV is 220 lbs, and each shelf is rated at around 350 lbs.

If I go with the 30 Inch KV-30HS420, it is 150 lbs (70lbs lighter than my current) and 35.5" wide (my current is 35.7" wide), so it would fit on my current stand and weigh less. If I go with the 34 Inch KV-34HS420, it is 196 lbs (24 lbs lighter than my current) and 39.25" wide ... so it would still be lighter, but I would have to switch to my larger rack that I have (which really isn't an issue, same weight rating, but 48" wide instead of 36" wide).

The weight does suck though. When I have moved the TV, I have had to have help ... except when I was sliding it around and raising it a bit on my current stand. That was interesting! :) I wanted to raise it 5 inches, so I had to put together a stand that was 2 inches higher, slide it up onto that, raise the original, then slide it up to the new height. Still not an easy task by myself!!!

Besides the weight though, is this the best gaming option?

Tom BL

Agent
Read the Home Theatre Primer, and/or one of the hundreds of "guides" to HDTV that can be found with a quick google search.

I'm also in the market for a TV in that price range, and I've learned that CRT offers the best bang for your buck if you can handle the size and weight. The technology is established (reliable), and refined.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Back around Thanksgiving Circuit City offered a Panasonic 44" LCD HD RPTV for $1299. A friend of mine purchased it and LOVES it. Since then it's jumped back up to between $1799 and the regular price of $1999. I would be they will offer the same or similar $1299 deal this coming weekend (being the weekend before the Superbowl). A set like this (if you can find it in your price range) will give you a larger display that at the same time weighs MUCH less.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks