Looking for HDTV component switch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bennett, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Auditioning

I now have two sources that need to go into one input on my Sony TV. Only input 5 does the vertical 16:9 squeeze that I need for both my DVD player and my Rogers HDTV feed. I am not interested in getting a new receiver to do the switching. A simple 2-input to 1-output component switch box is all I will need.

Anything out there? I live in Canada (Toronto) so a Canadian source would be good but I have no trouble ordering from the US is that is the only place to get one.

Chris Bennett

2. Alan Wood

Alan Wood Auditioning

Chris,
    There is a company called INLINE, INC. located in Yorba CA. They make the high bandwidth video switchers for component video. The model IN3582 is exactly what you need. Their web site is www.inlineinc.com. The phone number for sales is 714-921-4100. If you have any problems, email me. Good luck.
    Alan (Chip) Wood
    Home Theater Installation

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Alan:
    I'm not familiar with the RGBS format. Inline IN3582 2-Input, 1-Output RGBS Auto-Switcher.
    How does one go about connecting the component sources and displays with three cables each to this switch with 4-cable inputs and outputs?
    Thanks.
    Larry

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've just integrated a JVC JX-S111 into my system which switches 3 separate component in's to one component out. It also does S-video & composite and is passive, not active. The spec sheet CONFIRMS 10MHz for composite and 30MHz for component.

It came from etronics in NYC for $70. Been using it for two days so far, no problems.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

For component video the sync is on the Y; there is also a form of RGB with the sync on the G (RGsB). If your DVD player has just three jacks and the TV has just 3 jacks for component, go ahead and use the switcher but leave the fourth jacks empty.
    I am told that simply tying the sync. line(s) to the G will allow you to plug a four (RGBS) or five (RGBHV) line RGB output to a three (RGsB) line RGB input, but I am not sure.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Alan Wood

Alan Wood Auditioning

Larry,

I connected the Y to green and Pb and Pr to the blue and red in/outs. Nothing was connected to the sync input. I believe I remember them telling me if you have both a 480P and a 1080i sorce, you should connect the 480p to the 2nd input.

Alan (Chip) Wood