Looking for guidance in getting into the Home Theatre/Home Automation

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shane S., Aug 19, 2003.

1. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm looking for any help or advice that you can give me on getting into the Home Theatre/Home Automation business. I have searched around the Internet and have found different certifications, but I haven't met anyone that has them so I don't know what they are worth. I'm pretty good with scripts and macros already. I currently work In IT/Network Ops. I also have experience installing satellites and I did 6.5 years in the Navy as a SONAR tech.
    Ideally I'd like to find some place that could take me on as an apprentice type status where I could still work my job at night (need to pay the bills) but learn the art and eventually move on maybe work for myself. I live in CT though and I'm not sure there are any around. I know Tweeter does installs now but I'm not sure how that works.

Well thanks from a new member for reading this and for any help you may have.

Shane

2. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Can't help from personal experience, but I've seen some info floating around:

Check out http://www.cedia.org
    and
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ustom/list.cgi

On the remotecentral forum, I occasionally see discussions of the custom installation marketplace. Do a search there.

There was also a recent thread here at HTF about getting into the business. Sorry, but the search function is temporarily disabled, due to high server loads.... do a search when you can.

3. Shane S.

Thank you for the reply Mike,

I have checked out CEDIA's site several times. I was looking at there installer and designer certs but I am unsure as to weather or not that would be a good first step. I work in the IT world where we have people with certs who know nothing and people without certs who can fix anything.
    I did use there site to find a few people near me and I am attempting to contact all of them right now.
    I am so serious and enthusiastic about this that I would honestly volunteer my time just to learn.

The other site looks helpful, thanks again.

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

heh heh... I'm in IT, too. I've got my CISSP. I won't tell you which category I fall into though. [​IMG]

5. Shane S.

I know this was a little bit of a dead thread but I figured I'd give an update for anyone else who may have been curious.

Firstly by searching CEDIA's site for local installers I located a few places and contacted all of them. I ended up connecting with a place "Roberts Audio" in New London CT. I went to their store looking for some answers and walked out with a job. I'm going to start working a pre-wire on Monday. [​IMG]

Secondly I learned that the CEDIA certifications is not only to show customers or perspective employers a certain level of knowledge. It is also an attempt at setting a standard so that installers won't need to be electriciians.

Well for what it was worth....

Shane