Looking for good sounding micro shelf stereo system for my wife.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I hope this is the right forum for something like this.

My wife asked that I look around for a micro stereo shelf system (the kind that has two speakers and a small FM/CD receiver) that sounds really good but under $125.00. I know it will be hard but I'm sure there is something out there that sounds full and rich for that price.

She wants it to take up minimal space on her desk, be able to jam out in the mornings when she's alone and the play it softly when everyone is there. She wants it to sound full and not all "trebley". [​IMG]

I know a Nakamichi is out of the price range but I heard one in a Sharper Image store and it sounded really good so that is the sound I'm going for.

I found a nice looking Sanyo system on Ebay for around $70.00 but have no clue as to what it sounds like. I heard others in Wal-Mart and Kmart and they just don't have the "oomph" we're looking for.

Any ideas or anyone using one now that they could recommend?

Thanks!

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

DO NOT buy an Aiwa system. Numerous problems with their CD player that resulted in a class-action lawsuit.

I personally think Sharper Image carries a bunch of overpriced crap.

I really can't give you any recommendations besides not to get Aiwa.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I dont think your going to find anything at all. You are going to have to spend at least $300. The only one I can think of is a panasonic for $100 and it sounds like shit.

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I agree with Jesse. In that range you are really just buying for low price, not sound quality. Panasonic and Sony make the best ones I've heard under $200 though.

DJ

5. PatrickDT

PatrickDT Extra

Hey buddy. I am a home theater employee at a major retailer, and I hate to admit that SOny makes decent shelf systems, but they do.

I'd advise to you check out the Sony HP-7, for the price, the size, and the way it sound, you really can't beat it. It retails for 179, but it's worth it.

6. Shawn Shultzaberger

That Sony HP-7 seems to get a lot of good reviews. Definitely a bit higher than I wanted to go but the customer reviews make it very tempting.

Lowest I've found it was $145.00. Gonna go look some more.

Thanks everyone for the help! [​IMG]

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

Well, after checking the dimensions I think it's to big. I checked the Sony site and they do have a CMT-EP313 for $99.95. Onecall.com has them for $89.95. I think that's the best I'm going to be able to do given the size constraints and budget. I just wish I could find a brick and mortar where I could give it a listen.

8. Page Ferrell

Page Ferrell Agent

Yeah, that's a tight budget for a good system. I have a Denon/Mission system that I love. However, 3 years ago, refurbished, I got it for $275. New, it's $500 or $600 nowadays (there are several variations). I know this does not help...however, maybe you can find something like the Denon/Mission combo used on Ebay?

I found a similar system under $400 at Consumer Direct OnLine (sorry, the rulemakers won't let me post the link until I have reached purberty or something).

9. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I think there are a load of options from Cambridge Soundworks. Check them out on google or something - they sell a lot of refurbished systems. (Not sure if "a lot of refurbished systems" is a good thing, at least they've been tested and they're warrantied).

10. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Onkyo makes a killer little system, but it's about $350, so it might be out of your price range. It could be worth the extra bucks though!

I just bought a little Yamaha system (I can't remember the model # though, LSX- 15 or something like that I think) that was originally like $350 or $400. I got it open boxed clearanced for $150. Doubt I could do much better for the money. It even has a sub output!

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    this little TEAC DVD/CD microsystem looks interesting (rrp $399, overstock $109). TEAC usually makes hi-end stuff.. so I suppose it shouldn't sound too bad