1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for good quality sound card for HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am looking to upgrade the sound card in my HTPC. It must have a optical out on it to connect to my receiver, and it must have Dolby Digital and DTS decoding built in. I Won't be using it for recording anything or doing any gaming so maximum DVD/media file playback quality is desired. A Would prefer to keep the cost down. I looked at the Turtle Beach CATALINA 8 but the reviews on the web were not that good.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Why would you need the card to do DD/DTS decoding when you want to pass the digital bitream via optical out to your receiver to do the decoding?

Anyway DD/DTS decoding is usually done in software anyway, by the DVD player, but that's if you really wanted to output 6 analog lines from your soundcard to your receiver's 5.1 analog inputs.

The Chaintech AV-710 sounds like it will do everything you need for less than $25.

3. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

or he could be running 6 monoblock amps [​IMG]
    (hell if i had money thats what i would do, 6 fullrange channels)

And another vote for the AV710, very well regarded in the headphone market as well(often headphones are more scource picky than speakers)

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hehe well if he wanted a full-blown pre-amp keeping the cost down is out of the equation. [​IMG]

5. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

No I am not running 6 monoblocks, thats a bit out of my price range, just hooking it to a Denon 2805 . Thanks for your help, I'm ordering one of those Chaintechs today.