Looking for good quality sound card for HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am looking to upgrade the sound card in my HTPC. It must have a optical out on it to connect to my receiver, and it must have Dolby Digital and DTS decoding built in. I Won't be using it for recording anything or doing any gaming so maximum DVD/media file playback quality is desired. A Would prefer to keep the cost down. I looked at the Turtle Beach CATALINA 8 but the reviews on the web were not that good.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Why would you need the card to do DD/DTS decoding when you want to pass the digital bitream via optical out to your receiver to do the decoding?

Anyway DD/DTS decoding is usually done in software anyway, by the DVD player, but that's if you really wanted to output 6 analog lines from your soundcard to your receiver's 5.1 analog inputs.

The Chaintech AV-710 sounds like it will do everything you need for less than $25.

3. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

or he could be running 6 monoblock amps [​IMG]
    (hell if i had money thats what i would do, 6 fullrange channels)

And another vote for the AV710, very well regarded in the headphone market as well(often headphones are more scource picky than speakers)

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hehe well if he wanted a full-blown pre-amp keeping the cost down is out of the equation. [​IMG]

5. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

No I am not running 6 monoblocks, thats a bit out of my price range, just hooking it to a Denon 2805 . Thanks for your help, I'm ordering one of those Chaintechs today.