What's new

Looking for good modern Japanese films... (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for good, entertaining Japanese films that represent a (relatively) accurate depiction of modern-day Japan. By modern let's say... Showa 55 (1980) through the Heisei era up to current date.

I'm not looking for films dealing with any other time frame, so no Kurosawa samurai epics or post-war examinations please. I'm really interested in films dealing with issues in modern-day Japanese life. These don't have to be profoundly philosophical films or anything; an example of the type of film I'd like to see more of is "Shall We Dance?"

So if you have any recommendations for this type of movie, or good modern Japanese directors, please share! Thanks!

Stephen R

Stunt Coordinator
Some good recent films that examine youth in contemporary Japan:

Go (d. Isao Yukisada)
All About Lily Chou-Chou (d. Shunji Iwai) ; and anything by Iwai, really
License to Live (d. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

And I would second Brendan's Audition recommendation since it does present a contemporary view of sexual politics, dating, and various other things in modern Japan. Not everyone's cup o' tea, of course.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Yes, GO is highly recommended and of course BATTLE ROYALE and LOVE LETTER are really good too.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Some suggestions:

The difficulty of immigrant assimilation in a monoethnic society - Swallowtail Butterfly (Shunji Iwai)

Films inspired in the aftermath of 5/20/95 sarin gas attack on Tokyo subway by Aum Shinrikyo "Doomsday" cult - Distance (Hirokazu Kore-Eda), Eureka (Shinji Aoyama)

Technological alienation - Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa), the aforementioned All About Lily Chou-chou (Shinji Iwai)

Aging and the elderly in contemporary Japanese society - Will to Live (Kaneto Shindo)

Also, in the field of light comedy in the spirit of Shall We Dance?, try Waterboys (Shinobu Yaguchi)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much to everyone for all your suggestions. I now have a great list that should keep me occupied for some time. :)

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check out Hirokazu Koreeda, especially Maboroshi no Hikari, although I hear that After Life is good, too. I thought Maboroshi no Hikari was very atmospheric and interesting. Very thoughtful. Hope this helps.

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks