What's new

Looking for good Jackie Chan DVDs (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Can you guys recommend a few good Jackie Chan Hong Kong movies? I've seen "Drunken Master II" & his newer films ("Rumble in the Bronx", "Rush Hour", etc.), but was looking for older movies featuring his martial arts/stunts on DVD (region 1 or other). I tried asiandvdguide.com but there are too many titles there to go though. Thanks in advance.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The original DRUNKEN MASTER is great. I believe Columbia is releasing this soon. Hong Kong Legends (PAL/Region 2) also has a decent version but it is cropped to 1:85.
If you can play region 2 DVD's, Hong Kong Legends have a good version of POLICE STORY. Here is an in-depth review of the many home versions.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory.htm
Some other good ones include:
DRAGON FOREVER
WHO AM I?
HALK A LOAF OF KUNG FU
DRAGON LORD
I believe they are out or print now but Simitar released a bunch of Jackie's early movies dubbed and in pan&scan. They were pretty cheap and at the time it was the only way to see a lot of the movies. Many of these titles are gradually getting released in letterbox versions with the original language by Columbia.
Matt

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Wheels on Meals is great, especially the fight scene with Benny The Jet. Dragons Forever is good. I love his films with Yeun Biao and Sammo Hung. Don't be surprised if the visual quality isn't great as Hong Kong Films are known for their poor film preservation. Have Fun.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
As a rule, you'll always want to get the original Hong Kong DVD releases. Especially since U.S. distributors cut footage out of many Hong Kong films.
I recommend purchasing the R0 original HK releases of the Jackie Chan films. You get the original Cantonese soundtrack with English subtitles and the original cut of the film.
www.yesasia.com
www.hivizone.com
www.hkflix.com
Are some great places to check out for Jackie Chan films.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite Jackie Chan movie is hands down Police Story. The stunts and action in this movie made me a Jackie fan for life. The humor is better than average for a jackie chan movie too. :) The only thing is I don't think this one is out on DVD yet. I remember seeing something about it coming at some point but I have not been following it lately. It is so good that it is worth checking out on VHS. :)
Take Care,
Will

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
As far as R1 releases, Who Am I? and First Strike are just plain fun movies to watch (as is Shanghai Noon, but there's fewer martail arts wonderment in that movie). I'd skip Mister Nice Guy. It has a nice set-up but the last half-hour is rather disappointing.

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Project A was Jackie Chan's first directorial debut and the first of his trademark-styled martial-arts films (semi-modern setting, mix of humor and action, outtakes at the end, etc.). I consider it to be one of his finest films ever, and actually prefer it over Drunken Master II in terms of story-telling. It co-stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung -- what's not to like? Features great interplay between the 3 stars, a stunt that's definitely one of the top 5 stunts in his career, a great chase scene on bicycles, a cool pirate villain who looks like a Klingon, and a well-above-average story. My mom who has no taste for martial arts films ("they're all fake!") even enjoyed this one.
Make sure to get the Region 0 Hong Kong release (available through hkflix.com along with countless other great finds) and NOT the Dimension Films crapjob. The US release is barely even recognizable with its horrible rescripting, redubbing, and rescoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks