Looking for good, inexpensive speaker mounts.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Ross, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Robert Ross

Robert Ross Agent

I just purchased my surround system and was thinking of mounting my rear surrounds on either shelves or wall mounts and was hoping some of you could give me some inexpensive ideas on doing this. I'd prefer wall mounts because of the flexability of positioning the speakers in different directions. I really like the look of Vogel's line of brackets but can't find any place that sells them, and they look pretty pricey. I notice Crutchfield sells some farily cheap wall mounts for $30 by B-Tech, but Crutchfield is overpriced and I know I could prolly find it cheaper elsewhere. Any suggestions?

2. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I picked up some from Omnimount model AB2. Cost me $20 a piece at Circuit City. Not the most flasy of mounts but very sturdy and inexpensive.

3. Robert Ross

Robert Ross Agent

You say $20 a piece, so they don't come in a pair?

4. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Nah, one per box. I looked around at everything else locally and didn't really find anything better for the price.

Just checked Crutchfield and they carry this model. Maybe you can order both and check them out.

5. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Parts express carries a full line of Vogel products..

I bought some brackets at Walmart of all places, 10 bucks a pair. They hold up to 10 lbs each, and tilt and swivel.
    Only bad part, is they only come in a dark grey, but a little paint can fix that. for the price that is, and they came with all the universal mounting pieces for different speaker types. Good luck trying to find them, I bought four sets when they had them and haven't seen them since.

6. Robert Ross

Robert Ross Agent

Just checked out parts express and it's nice to see the Vogel brackets at such a great price. I just wished they offered VLB1025, because my speakers weigh 12lbs which is a pound more than the VLB50 is rated for (I know it's only a pound, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of the speaker falling off the bracket), and the VLB100 is rated for 45lbs, which seems like overkill. This is the problem I had with other online stores that offered Vogel, they had all the models except this one. One more question, how are the speakers attached to the bracket? It almost looks like I would have to drill holes into the speaker (no freakin way I'd do that). Also I don't want to cover up the port holes in the back of speaker, but I think I'll email AV123 about that (I bought the speakers from them, and they reccomend Vogel products, so I'm sure they could help).

7. DarrinG

DarrinG Extra

I know its nothing fancy but I went to Wal-mart and got some small shelfs that work great. There wood and you can stain or paint them it doesn't matter but they only cost me $5 for each

8. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I just bought a pair of the B-Tech BT-1 from Amazon.com. These hold more weight than the ones in your link, and are a few bucks cheaper than Crutchfield at $24.99 a pair. I have 15lb bookshelves for surrounds and these brackets can swivel 18 degrees up and down and also move side to side. Should give me infinite positions to nail down the sweet spot. I thought about shelves but I wanted to be able to aim the speakers more freely.

9. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

After looking at those B-Techs I think that they might actually be nicer than my Omnimounts. Might have to pick up a pair to try out.

10. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

I think Lowes if not HD carry the Vogel line. I have see them in one of the big box.

11. Tommy Z

Tommy Z Auditioning

I just bought, and received my Btech BT1's.

I plan to use these for hanging bookshelf rear speakers on the back walls for surround.

They don't look like much (kinda small) but I think they will support the claimed weight. They are a nice polycarbonate material and have lots of adjustability.

12. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor