What's new

Looking for Good In-Ceiling Speakers (1 Viewer)

Rus

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to mave into a new townhouse that I just bought and am in the process of getting everything together for my home theater system.

Because of the vaulted ceiling and the fact that my couch need to go against one wall and the tv and racks against the other, I have to use ceiling mount speakers. I'm currently looking at the Niles CM800HD for the rears. I've heard these before and I like them, but I was wondering if anyone knew of better speakers. The room is approximately 13'x15'.

The rest of my system is:

Denon 3200

Velodyne 10" Sub

Currently using energy speakers for front, center, and rears but would like to replace them.

Also should I use in-walls for the front left and right channels?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Budget? Triad is extremely good but is at a high price point. Their inwall and inceiling speakers start at about $700 a pair. Don't even ask about buying online. Not an option. Good luck.

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
I have read and been told that it is best to match your front and rear speakers with similar drivers. I know Energy has some in-wall and in-ceiling models which will enable you to easily match your front speakers -- although I have not listened to those in-ceiling speakers.

If you are looking to buy all new in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, here are some that I have auditioned:

B&W Sig 7NT and CDM-80 (I bought these)

Paradigm SA30 and SA15-R (very good)

Definitive Technology UIW series

StereoCraft 8 series

For the high-end speakers, see Triad speakers. They are expensive and claim that their product has superior sound because it is encased in its own cabinet. However, my research found that other manufacturers claim that their models are designed to have a cabinet space the size of a cell in your wall and most brands sell foam or insulation which is installed with (and behind) the in-wall speaker.

If you search my name, there is some recent discussions on this issue.

Good luck.

Nearly every speaker company now makes in-wall models.

Al Diamond

Auditioning
The advantage of enclosing the speakers in their own cabinet is that the sound is maximized for its "known" environment. Thier is no guess work about the speakers installation placement. Triad braces their speaker cabinets like no other manufacturer I know of. It makes sence that they are a little more expensive but they sound great and you always know exactly what sound you are getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks