Looking for good floor standing speakers....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Webb, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

To go with my planned home theatre system. I'm planning on getting the HK AVR320, the JBL NSP1 speaker package for my surround/center. I looking for a set of floor standing speakers with, for lack of a better word, "SIZE". I've seen many people recommending the JBL bookshelf speakers, but I would like a floor standing speaker with a larger presence, but unfortuantely, I don't want to spend lots of $$, probably over $150/each. This is all to go with my Panny 53" HDTV. Any recommendations would be great, and I've searched many back posts, and I'm STILL searching, so any help would be great.

2. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

lets see...you want good floor standing speakers with presance for less than $150 each?...hhhhhmmmmm
    not sure thats possable.......some say klh is good at their low price point.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...undsysdepot-20
    though ive never herd them.......

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I bought my JBL S312's new for $119 each plus shipping from Ubid. You can occassionally find good deals there on mid end consumer level products.

4. Michael Webb

Okay, let me rephrase myself, I would like a good floor standing speaker, but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars per speaker. When I say good, I say that meaning I'm not an audio fanatic, I would just like something that sounds good, looks good, and is preferrably not KLH. I'm sure there's something out there, I consider the JBL NSP1 to be a "good" buy for a "minimum" price, I'm looking for something with this mentality, in a floor standing speaker? All I know is what I've read, and what Best Buy has in their store[​IMG]

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Michael,

The problem with low-cost floorstanding speakers is that it costs a lot of money to build the larger cabinets. This means that the other components in them are usually cheap, and they don't sound as good as smaller speakers for the same price.

At $300 per pair, you're better off saving a little more money before buying towers.

What kind of sound are you looking for over the NSP1s? Louder, more bass, soundstage, ?

6. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

If your looking at the JBL N series speakers, you should definitely stick with them for mains.
    You want to have as consistent a sound as possible from all speakers and a "mix-and-match" approach is not adviseable.
    BTW, I agree you should avoid KLH speakers.
    How about here?
    Should be a very good match...

7. Michael Webb

Thanks for the help, and yes, I'm thinking the N38 might be a good speaker for me. Just started to "really" shop on the net, had always been a Best Buy shopper, and through them, the N38 was fairly expensive, but over the net, hell, it's like 75% off! I'm thinking I might like to get JBL's 12" floor standing speakers, have seen them for around $180 piece, and the N38 can be found for about $96, so I guess I'll have to chose. I'm looking for speakers with good surround movie quality, and floor speakers that can keep the friends happy when their over for beers. Thanks for the help.

8. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Michael,
    I think JBL is one of the best options when you consider price vrs performance. And the Northbrige series is a great option.
    Check etronics.com,
    JBL N38II 3-Way 8" Floorstanding Speaker $115 (each)
    And then you could add an JBL NSP1 and an SONY SA-WM40 and you will have a great 7.1 setup for less than $650.
    Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Well, I just read this thread about "no KLH's" so here's a reccommendation for a different kind of KLH! [​IMG]
    I just saw these KLHs at Best Buy yesterday. They are a new series from them called the "RAVE" series. Sort of a poor man's Cerwin-Vega. These guys have a 12" woofer with a cast aluminum frame (an expensive feature in any speaker), in a very large bass-reflex cabinet. On the back are two enormous ports. Color is all jet black.
    There is a 1" metal dome tweeter and a 5"(?) midrange with a "bullet" dust cap. The connectors on back are of the banana plug type.
    Price is $379 per pair.
    Sound: Quite good for their price actually. They have clean, powerful non-boomy bass . Everything else sounds good too (& not overly bright like some other lesser KLH's). I didn't notice anything unpleasant while listening to these. I used my Thievery Corporation album Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi CD to check them out.
    Kinda like the Camaro Z28 (current generation!) of speakers: not super-sophisticated but still fun to--hehe--drive.
    On KLH's goofy website, they have a good explanation of how speakers are designed. It is quite informative (believe it or not). Scroll down about halfway:
    http://klhaudio.com/frameset.htm
    LJ

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'll give a second to the N38s. I've seen them as low as $90 through yahoo shopping, plus shipping. Since you have the NSP1 package, the N38s would match your current center, and you'd be all set for 7.1.

I'm currently using a NSP1 package matched w/ N28 speakers on stands. The N28s are considered bookshelf speakers, but are much larger than 90% of the bookshelf speakers out there. They are 19" tall, 12" wide, 9" deep, and i have them sitting on 24" stands. They sound great. They sound just as full as then N38s in HT supplications. 2ch music without a sub is where you really start to hear the difference in a floor standing speaker and a similar bookshelf speaker. This is mainly due to cabinet size. A larger cabinet allows for lower frequency response from the same drivers.

Don't let size alone push you into a floor standing speaker, but if you know that's what you want, then don't let me persuade you either. The N28s will sound MUCH better, fuller, and richer as mains compared to the N24s. The N38s would sound marginaly fuller and "larger" than the N28s, but you hear a significant difference between the 2 until you compared them in 2ch music w/out a sub. The frequency response difference is only 5hz. The difference in the N24s and N28s is almost 30hz (MUCH more significant).

Either way, the N38s or N28s would be a very good match w/ what you currently have. The N38s can be found for under $200 a pair online. The N28s can be found for around $130 a pair online. Shipping will really hurt you on the N38s. Expect to pay at least $50 for shipping on the N38s. N28 shipping will be closer to $25 or $30. I was lucky enough to get mine from J&R for $130 w/ free shipping. Unfortunately, they only have the N28IIs now, and they are $300. Free shipping is still available from J&R.

Hope this helps.

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

13. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Stay w/the same series JBL for timbre matching. Those N-38's are a might fine deal!

14. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i have a pair of KLH M365 towers they cost me $120 for the pair i got htem at best buy i cant provide a link but they are top notch and for the price you wont find anything better trust me .. well maybe online... i have pictures and specs but im not sure howmany bestbuys still carry them sort of a close out thing but they have cloth dome tweeters and polycoated 6.5 main and 4.5 mid drivers and 90db sensitivity 5-200watts freq responce is 35Hz-20kHz i love them [​IMG] check out best buy you will have to go into the store they took them off the website but really for $120 for the pair they cant be beat

15. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Hello,
    I been on this site reading allot and this is my 1st post ever. I just wanted to reply to your comment about not wanting to own KLH. What’s really wrong with KLH? You said you don't want to spend allot of money and people suggested this brand of speakers. Please at least try KLH before you knock it.
    I owned allot of higher end speakers and paid over 200.00+ each over what I own now,,, and I can tell you there is really no difference at all. Now I have only a DD5.1 setup and I settled for my setup all to be KLH (majority). I have good friends that own 2000.00 setups and mine will out perform them. They are really surprised on how my setup sounds.
    I tried allot of speakers and felt that even the cheapO KLH is a good quality product.
    I tried allot of brands and I got to say that I am extremely happy with what I own and not burning a hole in my wallet [​IMG] .
    I visit Circuit City, Best Buy and Fry's Electronics allot on the weekends to check out there stuff and yet have I been extremely satisfied to even buy something that really is no better then what I own at this time as for quality.
    Here is my setup:
    KLH R5000 (receiver) 100w x 5 (DD5.1)
    KLH 2-way satellites - also tied in with these speakers I run 2- 12"Daytons 3-ways (makes it even louder) [​IMG]
    KLH 2 way indoor/outdoor rear satellites
    (1) DCM 12" Floor PWR sub-woofer (100 watt amp)
    Pioneer Center channel (2-way/shielded)

16. Michael Webb

Mike, I'll go ahead and apologize for the "not wanting KLH" comment, to be truthfully honest, I've never actually sat down and auditioned KLH, and by what you've said, I'm imagining they sound pretty good. I understand what you mean 100% about 2K systems not sounding as good as someones $700 system, have heard it for myself. I think the big problem with me is, I'm fairly young, and the biggest mistake some genius in my generation made was making us look at BRANDS over QUALITY, and I am the first to admit this affects me tons. I think an easier explanation of my situation is that I have the money, but I don't necessarily want to get the abolute cheapest(meaning price) units out their, nor do I want the most expensive, I WANT A BARGAIN! I think I'll feel bad about myself if I just settle for the cheapest, if there's anyway you can understand that? I'll pay a little extra for a name, have been most of my life.

17. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Check out www.audioadvisor.com . They are closing out the RTS5's for $249.00 and the RTS7's for $299. That's $200.00 and $250.00 off regular price per pair respectively. Fantastic floorstanders for the money. Made in Canada by API the same guy's that make Energy and Mirage speakers. Totally made "in house" from the drivers, to the cabinets , to the crossovers. Then extensively "voiced" and tested in anechoic chamber, locking braced cabinets. Don't just take my word on it read the reviews and check their website. I bought my Reference R515's from them regular $550, demo pair for $179.00, very similiar to the RTS7's they have on closeout, regular $550 now $299.00. These speakers are a steal at the closeout prices. Forget KLH not even in the same leauge not even close.

18. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

KLH is a budget speaker. They are far away from what I would call a quality speaker. They are not bad, but they have no where near a flat response. Three big ports does not make a good speaker. It may make the midbass louder, which you perceive as more bass, but it muddles out other frequency ranges. The KLH may be loud, but the JBL will have a more even response, which in the end is better.

19. mike_frontier

Michael Webb,
    Hey man that is cool that your young, me myself is also only 26 years old and been around car stereo systems since I was 14 years old and built car boxes and and installed equipment per car space.
    Since now I am older and settled down with 2-kids, wife and a new home and now been messing with home theather systems since 1998 when I got my home built, I can say and promise I owned and RETURNED for an REFUND A/V amps and speakers like ONKYO, SONY and HK b/c it just was not what I expected.
    Some people really would pay the extra cash to dish out and brag that they got an HK, ONKYO or YAMI. But I love it more when people expected that they THOUGHT my system in the house is all TOP LINE (AkA BIG name brands) and when I tell them KLH.. you should see there mouth drop. 2-guys I know actually went out and bought seperates on KLH equipment and been very pleased to own that brand.
    Don't get me wrong some people are just all about name brands. But I know what you get you'd be happy.
    [​IMG]

20. mike_frontier

Brian.
    I actually taught the opposite. I felt that JBL had a little bit more clean crisp on the mids and highs and the KLH sounded more cleaner when bass was provided. I thought all in all for an JBL costing 250.00 each versus an KLH that cost 115.00 each.. I think KLH 12's drove better for the bargin. Also go to partsexpress.com and if your not happy with the mids and highs on the KLH,,,, just replace them with something better in that case too. Just a taught.

But I have been reading allot and there are allot of people that makes these speakers and sound there life. As for me I am not someone that can dish out 500.00 for a speaker stand and another 1200.00 for a pair of 12's.
    I guess you can say I am no where near rich or spend thousands on a system. As Mike was saying he wanted NOT to spend over 300.00 on some speakers and I comment to try out KLH.

Mike